Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris89

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I made a thread a little while ago, about my female Stimson Pyhton going around her cage cover, She isn't doing it anymore.

However. . Now my male Stimson Pyhton is doing it? lol.

It's weird, as none of my other snakes do it - Just the Stimson Pythons.

000_0006-13.jpg

:?,

Chris

im no snake expert but id say its just another thing for them to climb on
as long as they dont burn them self or anything like that :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn! I have seen/heard of SO many stimsons doing this! I don't own one, but I have a spotted, and she's never bothered to lift herself up the necessary 30 cm or so to reach her light cover... She's lazy, though.

I don't see why stimsons would want to climb because they can... Aren't they typically terrestrial snakes? I know that the Antaresia group are known for climbing in caves to catch bats, but I'm quite sure enclosures don't resemble bat-infested caves...

Notechistiger, The enclosure is 60cm high (both of them are, the one for the female and the one for the male) and they still manage to climb up the wall and then wrap around the light cage cover.

Even my, Bredli and Murray Darling Carpet Python who love their branches and to climb don't even do this. It's always been my stimson pythons.

It probably wouldn't hurt to add some branches/perches for their safety. A fall from that height can prove nasty

Are you sure it's not going up for the heat mabey add a heat mat to the floor and some branches like Mysnakesau said.

Are you sure it's not going up for the heat mabey add a heat mat to the floor and some branches like Mysnakesau said.

The heat on his basking spot is 32ºc so it's not a heat issue. He has never fallen from there he just climbs down lol.

It's weird.

All of our snakes climb to the top of their cages. We only just put lights in the bredlis cages and they like to sit in the gap above the light cage - we have ours sticking out from the side. Stellar loves climbing! Her cage is in our bedroom and I always hear her falling at night. I have her in one of the Dalbarb glass tanks and she loves to sit on the plastic hole cover or the gap under the top mesh.

"I always hear her falling at night."

Same my bhps are constantly thudding on the ground when they fall, as they are in my bedroom it often wakes me up.

A couple of weeks ago I took my two stimmies out of click clacks and into new enclosures. The first thing they did was climb to the highest point in the cage....a small gap between the fluro and the roof.
The fluro is off when they get up there so it isn't a heat thing. I just think they love to climb, which surprised me as well.
It is funny to watch them stretch out almost onto the tip of their tail to try and reach the light. Sometimes they don't quite make it and fall over like a tree that's been cut down. It doesn't seem to worry them, they just have another go until they get up there.
I've added a couple of branches now to give them something extra to climb on.

Yeah i have the same problem i put some sticks and stuff in their for them to climb on it seems to work. i turned my heat light right down so they wouldnt burn themselves as well. if u do this add a heat matt or some heat cord. just so they can stay nice and warm if they want heat .good luck

This is SMs other half posting here.
i think it might partly have something to do with stimmies in the wild. Yes they are terresrial but they also climb up huge rock outcrops to find spaces to live so maybe she is doing that? Ours do it all the time!

My stimmie also likes to hang out in the highest possible point. The spotted climbs around, but usually hangs out nearer ground level. The two hatchling Bredls seem to like the high perches most of the time, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back