A Tragic Fall! Man dies rescuing cockatoo, your experiences

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hazzard

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=322046

This has reminded me of the time i tried to fix roof tiles in the rain 5m up on a cape cod style roof. I was lucky i didn't die. This poor fellow wasn't so lucky.

The point of this thread is to remind people to think before you act or the consequences are severe. Has anyone else had a potentially severe fall like this while trying to do something helpful?

Not a fall or quite like your story.

Sunday just gone my footy team had a big game against an old rival. We only just had enough to m ake the feild, so we had no one on the bench for us to interchange with. Was hardest game i ever played. One of our boys copped a really hard hit right at the beginning of the third quater, despite being in alot of pain he kept playing. We took him to hospital after the game and it turned out he broke a rib which punctured his right lung and partially collapsed it. I am so filled with admiration for him right now!

Being a builder for the last twenty years, I have seen my share of injuries to others after such falls etc, but I'll tell of the lucky one.
we were up on a roof. laying the anticon blanket and the roof sheets. Two stories high with both floors below open timber joists.(you have to put the roof on before you lay the flooring). when one of the crew slipped on the insulation and fell through the roof. The roof was trusses and on his way down he somehow caught the bottom chord of the truss which stopped him from landing on the hardwood joists below.
He got off with a strained wrist from hanging from his hands.

In my case i slid full velocity down 3 and a half metres of cape cod roof tried to crap the gutter ripped my fingers open and landed flat on my back on concrete also cracking my head on a jagged bit off bushrock. I thought i'd broken my back but got off with a dislocated shoulder.

Once our cat got stuck right up the top of hour pine tree, and 2 police officers walking past asked what we were looking at. We told them out cat was stuck. So one of the offices talked the other into climbing up and getting it down. i was 6 years old. no one died,. i liked that cat.

The story was funnier in my head

Gotta love their tact ....
"The dead man's wife was there when he fell.

"His wife was watching," Sgt Gilmore said. "

im looking after an injured blue tongue while it recovers ready for release. it had a secondary infection and i had to give it injections of anto biotics every day. one day it managed to bite my hand and it was like getting bitten by a little vice. the next day i was sitting on the tiled floor trying to inject it again and kept trying to bite me. one time it got real close and i flinched so much that i accidently punched the floor and broke one of the bones in my hand.

No matter how much you love animals you have to put it all in perspective.
An animals life is not worth your life!

Im not going to comment on my thoughts about that action... but last christmas it started to rain in the afternoon and i needed to climb onto of my aviary to cover it so it didnt get flooded(temporary accommodation for my spencers monitor that would have turned into a swamp). Being such a merry occasion i wasnt too stable on my feet and the metal roof was slippery as a (something slippery that wont cause infraction). Anyway i went very close to landing neck or face first into a spikey wire fence(not barb wire just the type with the sharp bits at the top if that makes sense). If i fell it could have also damaged the aviary.

Once our cat got stuck right up the top of hour pine tree, and 2 police officers walking past asked what we were looking at. We told them out cat was stuck. So one of the offices talked the other into climbing up and getting it down. i was 6 years old. no one died,. i liked that cat.

The story was funnier in my head

Its OK is still PMSL as i thought about a similar scenario in a police academy movie :lol:

Very sad.....There was an incident over here a few days ago where a woman jumped in a fast flowing river to save her pet labrador, the temperature of the water was extremely cold & unfortunately her body was found a few days later, the dog survived & managed to get to the bank not long after she'd jumped in.
I must admit i would consider risking my own life to save my dogs.

I had an uncle who climbed a mango tree to pick some mangos for some tourists and he fell. He died 2 days later after being unconcious in hospital since the fall.

Hey, this is JUST like that lightbulb thread.. though not quite six months - but the unrelated thing... YAY.. it's so true!

Not a fall or quite like your story.
We took him to hospital after the game and it turned out he broke a rib which punctured his right lung and partially collapsed it. I am so filled with admiration for him right now!

I don't know why but my mates stopped riding with me a couple of years ago :) 3 people who have gone out riding with me were injured over a 6 month period. 2 broke several ribs and punctured a lung - both had to ride back injured as we were out in the middle of the desert and one broke his neck. Don't know why he didn't ride back himself ;) Some people have no sense of adventure..

I don't know why but my mates stopped riding with me a couple of years ago :) 3 people who have gone out riding with me were injured over a 6 month period. 2 broke several ribs and punctured a lung - both had to ride back injured as we were out in the middle of the desert and one broke his neck. Don't know why he didn't ride back himself ;) Some people have no sense of adventure..

Haha mate, one of my best friends is moving to Alice in Feburary and you aren't making it sound like the safest place :p

Thats really sad :cry: Ages ago when i wasnt around yet ,My dad Fell of a roof and broke his leg

Can i have your address ? ive got a function on my satnav that lets me avoid certian areas !!;):lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back