Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlateGal

Reaction score
THE FRIENDLY TIGER SNAKE

A concerned mother called the Australian museum to ask about the large snake that her 12 year old son had recently caught and brought home.It sounded like a harmless diamond python, but it's very hard to identify snakes over the phone.So, one of the museum staff was passing the house a few days later and dropped in to check the snake.The proud boy went to get his pet, and cam back into the room with a 2 meter long TIGER SNAKE lovingly wrapped around his neck! He and his friends had been playing with it everyday, without inducing even a hiss of displeasure.

By Richard shine "Australian Snakes and natural History"[/b]

Jeebus! It's definately possible I guess, a mate of mine has a 1.5M tiger with a similar temperament, though he'd never free-handle it like that of course...could be an escaped captive?

i don't know. All i know is that it's a true story and lucky for that kid that the tiger snake was friendly.Though everyone i so scared of them, i heard that there actually not to vicious. I think it's an amazing story! :D

yea i have heard it before as well........there are some interesting 'snaketails' in the CSL antivenom handbook for their course thing as well.....

My tiger snake is normally easy to handle except at mating time when he goes psycho for about two weeks.
The size sounds a little exaggerated though. There is a sub-species in Tasmania that does reach 2 metres but I am pretty sure mainland tigers max out at about 1.2 metres. (I could be wrong).
That story could of had a very different ending depending on the time of year.

Yes, you are very true. That kid sure is lucky!
Yikes!, could u imagine the possibilities.

I've recently been looking at buying an inland taipan, & have heard that they are quite docile, but I'm not in any hurry to free-handle one to find out for sure! I had 6 tigers a while ago, and they were anything BUT placid. Actually nutters would be a good term.

yeah i read that story once....there is another good story in there about one of his friends going up north and coming across a snake. He thought it was a water python so he was tapping it on the nose as so it would go into good positions for photos, the thing was that wen the pics got developed richard and his friends correctly identified the snake as mulga snake, embarressing his friend and making him think of wat could hav happened.

and they wonder why they get bitten when they havent got a clue on what species it is

what i was ment to say was ..... some people wonder why they get bitten when they are trying to play with a reptile and not knowing the species or the danger that species can have on them....

yeh, ya think that a reptile photographer would know wat he was talkn bout....imagine how stupid ya would feel doing wat that photographer did. funny stuff :D

I do a lot of reptile photography and have a strict rule - if I can't positively identify the species, I assume it is venomous and treat it as such. When I lived on the gold coast I used to see a lot of keelbacks (Tropidonophis mairii) a harmless colubrid (and the only snake known to be tolerent of the cane toad posion). but since it is very simular to the rough-scaled snake (Tropidechis carinatus) I would apply the same caution to both species.

Gees, these ppl should be more careful!!!!
Bloody gun hoes, know it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back