a walk to Cape Raoul, Tasman Peninsula

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
My wife and I went on a walk to Cape Raoul in the Tasman National Park yesterday. This park is about an hour and a half drive to the northeast of Hobart, Tasmania. The trail to Cape Raoul passed though eucalyptus woodland before emerging into heath on the cape itself. The coastline of the Tasman peninsula is spectacular and rugged.

It is autumn and the days are cooling fast in Tasmania. We were fortunate to have good weather and the temperature warmed to about 20C, warm enough for a few reptiles. I did not see any snakes but did find a number of skinks.

Here are pics of the habitats and then animals that we encountered:

After walking for an hour, we reached this lookout where we could see Cape Raoul in the distance:
res_capeRaoul3.jpg

res_capeRaoul2.jpg

res_capeRaoul4.jpg

... rocks at the cape. The white area was a colony of pinnipeds -- I don't know whether they were fur seals or sea lions.
res_capeRaoul1a.jpg

seals2.jpg

seals1.jpg

Ocellated Skinks (Niveoscincus ocellatus) were abundant on the cliffs at the cape. I think that these are nicely marked lizards.
res_ocellated6.jpg

res_ocellated1.jpg

res_ocellated7.jpg

res_ocellated5.jpg

... the head of one is barely visible in the centre of this photo. It had a great view from its home on the cliff.
res_ocellated3.jpg

I believe this to be a Metallic Skink (Niveoscincus metallicus) due to the enlarged paravertebral scales. These were also a common species.
metallicskink1a.jpg

Metallic Skinks and Tasmanian Tree Skinks (Niveoscincus pretiosus) are very similar species. I could not see enlarged scales on the backs of these skinks so I think them to be Tasmania Tree Skinks rather than Metallic Skinks but I am not certain of the id.
metallicskink2.jpg

The only other reptile sighted was a single Eastern Three-striped Skink (Acritoscincus duperreyi) that disappeared before I could take a photo.

We saw a few flocks of Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos. The birds appeared to be feeding an Casaurina seed pods.
res_yellowtailedBlackCockatoo.jpg

I like these signs that we saw along the drive to the national park. Unfortunately, we would need to travel at night to actually see the Devils.
res_tas_devil1.jpg

Excellent pics, Tasmania is truely an underrated place, unfortunately the only Tassie devil i saw whilst there was road kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back