Ackie: Acting lethargic after weeks of activity and pigging out....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonicBlast

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My juvenile Ackie has been behaving very differently the past several days, and not the stompy roaming inquisitor I observed in the first few weeks. After weeks of pigging out like crazy, eating everything from roaches, to earthworms to quail eggs, he/she seems to be spending a large amount of time sleeping in the dirt near the front of the enclosure away from the basking spot.

Is a week long period of lethargy and laziness after eating like a pig for weeks normal at all? If not I'm begining to think something may be wrong with him/her.

It had been getting pretty thick/fat from pounding food each day. Since I've got a new job, and have to leave very early, I began putting some red runner roaches / worms in before I leave, so I haven't been there to watch him eat and am unsure if he's eating as much as he did. Maybe I should put a webcam on him to check durring the day.

Besides the food, the only change to his environment has been the addition of springtails and some small isopods. My temps are 140-150 backing spot, 95 ambient on the hot side, 80 on the cool. Photoperiod is 14 hrs daylight, 10 night
, temps at night are 84 ambient, 82.5 in the upper few inches of substrate, basking spot goes to a red halogen, and remains close to the same temps. Substrate is 8 to 10" soil sand mix, all fertilizer free.

So what do you guys think...is it Vet time? He/she isn't skinny getting very skinny really, just spending the waking hours laying there.

Any and all input greatly appreciated, many thanks!

J
[doublepost=1530029740,1529987903][/doublepost]By the way, his physical temps durring the day are the same as they've been in the past.. ~101-103f by the temp gun.
[doublepost=1530116825][/doublepost]Update..

I caught him lounging in different spots this AM. Once even under the basking spot.

Heres some photos. Please let me know what u think of his weight. Hopefully someone will chime in and let me know if this kind od thing happens occasionally, and is nothing to worry about...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6sVHw3pdPf6HG6rD9

thanks again for any/all insights.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back