Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junglebenn

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all. im finally comfortable with taking the next step in my reptile lifestyle and I believe im ready for my dream pet. I already have 2 pythons, only juvenils. time to get a monitor and in particular the lace monitor. ive researched and ive even spent time with a bloke who has one of his own ( xtremely tame 7yr old) so I know what im getting my self into. I have the time the space the patience and the room for this particular beast. however one thing im not decided on yet is weather to get a baby,juvenile,1yr,2yr ect. because ive never owned a monitor b4 I most definatley don't want to fail in the taming department. not particuly fond of having a 3 metre untamed dragon running round the house. So im guessing that my question is would I be best to start with a monitor that has already spent some good time around a experienced breeder. Oh and I also have a 5 year old and 2 year old daughters who are excellent and gentle with my current snakes. one of which is a 11 month old jungle python.so I trust them not to mishandle or aggreviate the monitor... any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.. P.S I know I cant spell very well, I have a terrible hangover.. that is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate I highly advise you to not get a Lace monitor as your first monitor. For what I am about to say please do not take this personally as I am just trying to help you.

1) Since you have not kept the Varanus species before i recommend at least a years experience with some of the smaller monitors such as ackies or tristis. I say this to help you learn the habits and signals of monitors and their feeding response. ( IMO Lace monitor's have the biggest feeding response of all Australian monitor's. )

2) There is no such thing as a "tame" Lacie, more so calm. I would never trust one ever no matter how calm it may seem. Your mate who has a tame lace is a very bad example as you perhaps have not seen how fast they can change from lazy and calm to absolute psycho.

3) That is good that your young kids have nice little snakes and what not but I personally would not let someone under the age of 18 in the same enclosure as a adult lace monitor let alone handle one ( also with allot of experience and under guidance ).

Do not worry about spelling mate, it is only a internet forum so no needs for English teachers here ( bluey ;) )

Again I would recommend you reconsider this decision but if you have your mind made up get in touch with either Crocdoc, Imported_Varanus or Serptongue on this website as they seem to be the most active knowledgeable people on Lace monitor's.

Also google "Lace monitor bite", not many pictures there but some of them once clicked have good descriptions on how they occurred and how some of them are even just quick bites. Good luck

Scott

Lace monitor being handled by 5 and 2 year olds
NO JUST NO
3 metres? you did research? Dragon?

Even if the monitor is tame claws are a massive problem, and they would probably rip your daughters arms to shreds.
Vanarus are intelligent animals and not toys, my advice would be buying a baby as buying an adult would be near impossible to tame without scars.
If you're looking for something to handle and that is gentle with your daughters but still nice looking animals go with Ackies or Tristis Tristis.

What is it with newbies and Lace monitors..?

Even if the monitor is tame claws are a massive problem, and they would probably rip your daughters arms to shreds.
Vanarus are intelligent animals and not toys, my advice would be buying a baby as buying an adult would be near impossible to tame without scars.
If you're looking for something to handle and that is gentle with your daughters but still nice looking animals go with Ackies or Tristis Tristis.

Again, i would not really recommend any monitors for handling. If people want to handle their lizards I recommend a bearded dragon or a blue tongue.

Not to mention their teeth.
Lacies are notorious for using their teeth when they get freaked out ie. when a slightly overzealous owner tries to handle them.

They've got insane feeding responses too, same as all goannas.

Again, i would not really recommend any monitors for handling. If people want to handle their lizards I recommend a bearded dragon or a blue tongue.

+1. Monitors are certainly a 'look but don't touch' animal.

ok so first things first. I just reread my post and didn't see anything inthere that said I was a brain dead idiot and planned to let my kids handle the monitor. for the people on this site that consider them selves to be better then anyone else, remember once upon a time u were still new to the scene aswell. I c so many people on here asking for advice and in response they get idiots that just wanna jump on and criticize. how do u expect any one to learn about something they have an interest in when all they cop is sarcasim and put downs.. at least were on here asking advice instead of justing buying now and asking later when its to late. oh and the dragon remark.... oops my bad sorry its a force of habit because my daughter calls all lizards (big or small) dragons. And b4 I get in trouble for not correcting her, she knows there not really dragons but she likes to think of them as such and we generaly play along.. Its actually good to see them showing interest in such things and not seeing them as scary. so for all the EXPERTS that responded to this request for advice with nothing more then typed bulldust comments and putdowns.. Thanks any wayz but its u guys that make such a wonderful way of life so hard to be involved in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a 5 year old and 2 year old daughters who are excellent and gentle with my current snakes. one of which is a 11 month old jungle python.so I trust them not to mishandle or aggreviate the monitor...

This is what i read

I'd second whate MK has said... I've kept lacies for 8 years and I would advise against a Lacie... I would also advise you to check out another Lacie or two, especially at feeding time... Their feeding response is like nothing you've ever seen, and they are unpredictable... Even the most calm, handleable lace monitor can have a trigger reaction which can cause serious, lifelong injuries, I'd never allow my children to spend any amount of time with a lace monitor... Check out a YouTube vid titled how not to feed a monitor lizard for a quick look into how they can be in food mode, the calmer the individual, the more you need to be on your game as complacency is a dangerous and an unforgiving thing in the case of these magnificent reptiles... I'm very passionate about the lace monitor and everyone has to start somewhere, but IMO, I'd go for a less lethal monitor to start... I've attempted to upload a pic of a Lacie bite, it's not my image, nor do I know the owner of the monitor, but it serves to remind us all that not all of Gods beautiful animals like being handled, no matter how much we want them to... Good luck with your choice and all the best....View attachment 274984

Thank you for your response it is appreciated. this is y I came here. for advice. I will be living my friend whom owns the monitor for about the next 6 months ect whilst our house is being finished built. during this time I plan to closely watch and learn. I understand that all personalitys will vary. its during this time that I plan to make my final decision as to weather or not it is appropriate and suitable for us. Thank you greatly again for your help I will b sure to use this in my decision.
Mate I highly advise you to not get a Lace monitor as your first monitor. For what I am about to say please do not take this personally as I am just trying to help you.

1) Since you have not kept the Varanus species before i recommend at least a years experience with some of the smaller monitors such as ackies or tristis. I say this to help you learn the habits and signals of monitors and their feeding response. ( IMO Lace monitor's have the biggest feeding response of all Australian monitor's. )

2) There is no such thing as a "tame" Lacie, more so calm. I would never trust one ever no matter how calm it may seem. Your mate who has a tame lace is a very bad example as you perhaps have not seen how fast they can change from lazy and calm to absolute psycho.

3) That is good that your young kids have nice little snakes and what not but I personally would not let someone under the age of 18 in the same enclosure as a adult lace monitor let alone handle one ( also with allot of experience and under guidance ).

Do not worry about spelling mate, it is only a internet forum so no needs for English teachers here ( bluey ;) )

Again I would recommend you reconsider this decision but if you have your mind made up get in touch with either Crocdoc, Imported_Varanus or Serptongue on this website as they seem to be the most active knowledgeable people on Lace monitor's.

Also google "Lace monitor bite", not many pictures there but some of them once clicked have good descriptions on how they occurred and how some of them are even just quick bites. Good luck

Scott

Want a monitor that your kids can handle every now and then (not all the time though)>Get an ackie. Not a lacie. You are going to need a big outdoor enclosure and they are quite aggressive so I hear.....NOT a starter monitor. They are for experienced keepers. I'd only recommend them to someone who has 10-20yrs+ experience with large monitors under their belt. I'm not sure if others would agree but that is just what I think :/
NOT SAFE FOR KIDS imo
Sorry to burst your bubble mate, I wanted one myself when I was in year 3 in Primary school :)

Thank you for your response it is appreciated. this is y I came here. for advice. I will be living my friend whom owns the monitor for about the next 6 months ect whilst our house is being finished built. during this time I plan to closely watch and learn. I understand that all personalitys will vary. its during this time that I plan to make my final decision as to weather or not it is appropriate and suitable for us. Thank you greatly again for your help I will b sure to use this in my decision.
No problem, I can see you're very eager but I still greatly advise you to go to another Lacie keeper in your area and see a typical food response and whether or not you would want an adult lace monitor on your property let alone in your daughters hand ( I know what you mean now do not worry ;) ). Also it was not the term dragon so much the person that was trying to make fun of you but more so that you stated 3m. A BIG adult male would struggle to hit 2.6m max.

Scott

I don't think any parent would leave a child of this age alone with such reptile. I guess I assumed that its a common sense thing among parents and didn't believe any one would think im letting my 5 year old daughter handle a large monitor. not that she'd even be strong enough to pick up or even move said monitor. I have no plans of letting it roam the house. my kids have there house and I will be having my reptile/man zone shed out the back.
This is what i read
it just seems that every time ive asked for help on this site ive been ridiculed and put down. I have a developing passion in this area but yet its just so hard to find advice. U ask a question and ur stupid for not knowing. many people have steared away from this forum because of this exact problem. sory were not all exberts but guess what? were trying.

- - - Updated - - -

cheers again. I couldn't remember the exact length id read so I pictured my mates and came up with 3 there abouts. wasn't expecting that to be the part someone picked on. I just foned my friend and his lace is 2.5 m from tip to tip and and only 7years old. he says its still got more growing to go. lucky lace I guess. its just stressful trying to get help with things these days.
No problem, I can see you're very eager but I still greatly advise you to go to another Lacie keeper in your area and see a typical food response and whether or not you would want an adult lace monitor on your property let alone in your daughters hand ( I know what you mean now do not worry ;) ). Also it was not the term dragon so much the person that was trying to make fun of you but more so that you stated 3m. A BIG adult male would struggle to hit 2.6m max.

Scott

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. advice well heard and taken. appreciate u taking the time
I'd second whate MK has said... I've kept lacies for 8 years and I would advise against a Lacie... I would also advise you to check out another Lacie or two, especially at feeding time... Their feeding response is like nothing you've ever seen, and they are unpredictable... Even the most calm, handleable lace monitor can have a trigger reaction which can cause serious, lifelong injuries, I'd never allow my children to spend any amount of time with a lace monitor... Check out a YouTube vid titled how not to feed a monitor lizard for a quick look into how they can be in food mode, the calmer the individual, the more you need to be on your game as complacency is a dangerous and an unforgiving thing in the case of these magnificent reptiles... I'm very passionate about the lace monitor and everyone has to start somewhere, but IMO, I'd go for a less lethal monitor to start... I've attempted to upload a pic of a Lacie bite, it's not my image, nor do I know the owner of the monitor, but it serves to remind us all that not all of Gods beautiful animals like being handled, no matter how much we want them to... Good luck with your choice and all the best....View attachment 274984

I hope you haven't taken any of my comments as anything other than an experienced opinion... I, as the majority of others who have commented would like to ensure that you get the best out of your chosen reptile... As you may be aware, the classifieds are full of good sized lace monitors that people have purchased as hatchies, which have been over handled as a hatchie, then grown into unmanageable fearful and therefore aggressive adult eating machines... Definitely find out as much as you can, try to get as much controlled, supervised hands on experience as possible, for say a year or two, I've kept smaller monitors ackies, tristis etc and its comparing apples to oranges with lacies... Also, a bite from an ackie is much easier to take than from even a 40-80cm Lacie... Far more forgiving... Please don't let negative comments put you off, but I do think the majority of people on this site are out to give you the best possible advice, as they see it... Everyone starts somewhere, and you have the ability to learn from their mistakes and experiences without losing a finger!!! Best of luck to you....
Cheers,
Simon

Thank you simon. ur comments have been taken in ur intended way. once I obtain a new pet what ever its species, I see it out to the end. I have all intentions of my pets being valued and loved. not used as a stock list or simply for show. my reason for seeking deaply into the lace is because im aware of the age span and once I decide and obtain on my final choice then I have no intentions of obtaining more. I see all things from start to end and refuse to sell or give away a pet once they have simply gotten to much to handle. I am willing and prepared to spend whatever time is needed to ensure I have more then sufficient knowledge to keep the monitor and and any person associated with it in a safe environment. If it takes 2 years to learn then so be it I am prepared to such things to ensure I am able to fulfill my passion of owning and caring for a lace monitor. hence this advice request.

Thank you simon. ur comments have been taken in ur intended way. once I obtain a new pet what ever its species, I see it out to the end. I have all intentions of my pets being valued and loved. not used as a stock list or simply for show. my reason for seeking deaply into the lace is because im aware of the age span and once I decide and obtain on my final choice then I have no intentions of obtaining more. I see all things from start to end and refuse to sell or give away a pet once they have simply gotten to much to handle. I am willing and prepared to spend whatever time is needed to ensure I have more then sufficient knowledge to keep the monitor and and any person associated with it in a safe environment. If it takes 2 years to learn then so be it I am prepared to such things to ensure I am able to fulfill my passion of owning and caring for a lace monitor. hence this advice request.
It is one thing to say this, another to follow. If only all people were like you prior to purchasing a reptile.
I, too, hope you didn't take my comment as a 'put-down', you asked for advice and you got advice. There is a line between Constructive Criticism and Put-downs.
Its really good that you understand what you're potentially getting yourself into Ben and i wish you all the best, as you said you will learn a lot staying with your friend the next few months and you'll quickly decide wether it's the animal for you or not.

What is it with newbies and Lace monitors..?

Because they're massive and AWESOME. The first time I saw a lace monitor, my initial reaction was: "I want that one!!" But I did my research, didn't want a small monitor (do now, bu that's not the point:p) and got a hatchy Merten's instead. Starts out tiny and cute, but becomes a managable monster. :D

Benn, I'm going with everyone else, Lace monitor not so great for a first monitor, mostly because of size and unpredictability. I've got a Mertens water monitor, he's still just a bub, and quite skittish, but I found him to be a good compromise. One day I will get my lacie, but I'm not ready yet. Just as one day I'll get my RBB, but I'm not good enough at not dying (or not getting bitten) yet:)

If you're after something that's got a decent bit of size, the Mertens is great, should get big enough but not unmanagable, I don't have any experience with any other monitors, so probably listen to other people on that score.

I'd also suggest getting a hatchy, that way you can grow with the monitor and learn to read it etc (as well as you can read a monitor anyway:p). And besides, they're tiny and adorable. Just be prepared to not touch it for a long time. "Taming" monitors is very different to other animals, it's not so much about just getting them used to handling like a snake, they have to learn to trust you. I've had my little guy for about a year, and have handled him probably under 10 times because he freaking hates it. Even then, it's only been as a necessity. It sucks, I'd really like to be able to handle him, but it's just not happening right now, and I've gotten used to the fact that I may never be able to handle him. Still looks awesome though:)

And good on you for not getting rid of animals when it's too hard. It's getting harder and harder to find that attitude.

Hi bro, guess who? Lol. Some gorgeous lacies out there. I know you will do your research, and see it to the end. I must admit I've felt the same way when looking for advise on here, but there is a select few that are willing to stop and give you a hand. P.s. don't let your hangover get ya down, It's not the end of the world lmao. Talk soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back