Adelaide: LOST ECLECTUS PARROT

Discussion in 'Other Animals and Invertebrate' started by vampstorso, Feb 8, 2018.

1. vampstorso

vampstorso Subscriber Subscriber

Hi all,
    This is in a rush, as my poor Dad is currently hysterical.

If you see a male ECLECTUS PARROT, please call or message me.
    My phone number is 0433436910

He was lost today the 8th of february 2018 in the Vale Park/Norwood area.

He talks a lot and will be identifiable by what he says.

I don't have Facebook so if anyone could share on there I would be eternally grateful.

IMG-20180208-WA0007.jpg

2. Buggster

Buggster Active Member

Post on ParrotAlert, and have a look through their listings.
    Hope you find the little guy soon :/

vampstorso likes this.
  3. vampstorso

I was just about to do parrot alert now I see they didn't end up closing down, thank you!

Feel so bad for him

4. Foozil

Foozil Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. Hope you find him soon :(

5. Buggster

Buggster Active Member

You might consider making a FB page for your bird- I’ve seen many “Find (lost pet)” pages with some amazing success stories. Also a bunch of lost pet sites and groups on FB which you can share to.
    Even if it’s just a temporary page for the bird, I’m sure it’d be worth it to get as many people as possible involved

6. SpottedPythons

SpottedPythons Well-Known Member

I have a few parrot recovery tips to share - have recovered my Quaker before with this method:

Try and keep within the area you lost him in. I'm assuming he's hand raised, so he should think of his humans as his "flock". Large parrots like the Eclectus have strong homing instincts to stay with their flock. Call out his name loudly, or any other commands he's familiar with ("step up", etc. etc.). Try and be as loud as possible, since parrots communicate with sound, hence the reason they are so loud. If there are any other parrots or animals that the Eclectus likes, bring it out in a cage. Sometimes even favourite foods or toys will work. Even when out of sight, he will probably return at nightfall or at dawn the next morning since it is his instinctive behaviour to roost close to his flockmates. He will be looking for you even as you look for him since you are his only known source of food. Stay within visible sight of the sky since you don't want him circling back and not seeing you. Do not expect him to return immedieatly since hand raised parrots, upon escaping, often go into a panic flight straight or in big loops. If he has not returned by the next day, place out food for him near your house as he will automatically gravitate towards a human for food when he gets hungry enough, and you want that human to be you.

Good luck finding your bird!
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Feb 8, 2018, Original Post Date: Feb 8, 2018 ---
    P.S A great idea would be to contact local birdwatchers - they'll know what's native to the area, which Eclectus are not. Another idea would be to carry loose change around with you and ask some kids - they have sharp eyes and will be more likely than adults to notice the big colourful bird. You can give a couple of cents out as small "rewards".

7. Wally

Wally Subscriber Subscriber Power Seller

I have nothing constructive to add other I hope your Dad finds him.

Stuart and Imported_tuatara like this.
  8. pinefamily

pinefamily Subscriber Subscriber

Put an ad on Gumtree.

9. Snapped

Snapped Subscriber Subscriber

Your poor Dad, hope he finds him quickly.

I've done a FB post on a few Adelaide Buy swap and sell sites, ( most of the Lost/found ones are now charging money)

Hope it helps.

vampstorso likes this.
  10. vampstorso

Thanks everyone.
    I immediately put the ad on gumtree when he called me,
    Followed by here, parrot alert, and asking friends and family to post on Facebook. My sister posted on Reddit.

Fingers crossed. I know it's all a long shot.
    It's particularly sad that it wasn't out of negligence on my father's part. He came home from work to find a family member had done it.

He is such a beautiful bird and I really hope he is okay. It's very sad imagining him now at night.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Feb 8, 2018, Original Post Date: Feb 8, 2018 ---

Thanks so much. Every little bit of publicity for him has got to help!

I REALLY appreciate it

Dad has been walking around calling out and generally staying outside, just hoping.
    I live 40mins away so will be going down first thing in the morning to be a crazy person screaming to the trees in hope.

Buggster and Snapped like this.
  11. Snapped

No problem, I've shared it to a few other places on FB, you never know who might be reading it.

Good luck, hopefully he'll be found tonight. Is he fully flighted or clipped wings?

12. vampstorso

Thank you again, so much!

I'm feeling particularly anxious about the hot weather too.
    I leave big tubs of water out for wildlife, but I know most people don't.

He is fully flighted.
    We're team let birds have their wings.
    Which in this particular situation often has people say "well if they were clipped this wouldn't happen"..which isn't true, they still fly...just badly, and can't escape a cat etc in such a situation.
    I don't think you're saying that at all, just so you know, it's just for anyone reading who doesn't realise those points.

Yellowtail and Snapped like this.
  13. Snapped

Absolutely understand, when I kept parrots I never clipped their wings either, for that exact reason. I figured if the ever escaped, they could still be safe and fly. The hot weather is a worry though, I put two large bowls of water out for the wildlife every day, I feel so sorry for the local magpies, today they were standing in the bowl trying to cool off a bit.

14. SpottedPythons

SpottedPythons Well-Known Member

When I first got my Quaker, her wings were clipped. Took her about a week to learn how to fly fairly well with those. And there's a good chance of recovery, actually - as I said they do have a homing instinct, and will head towards where they feel familiar. Yell out his familiar commands and words he uses and that should get his attention.

15. Buggster

Buggster Active Member

Best thing about unclipped birds who know who to fly is that they can come back- a clipped bird who’s been carried off by the winds has very little chance of making their own way home.

I’ve heard that leaving their cage outside with their things might also encourage them to come back down (as well as any familiar perches or toys the bird likes).

And yep- asking neighbourhood kids if they’ve seen anything, putting out posters, asking anyone and everyone... no doubt someone has in the very least seen him.

Also notify your local vets (and ones from a couple suburbs over) as well as any wildlife rescue groups, birdwatching groups, neighbourhood watch, local police and firestation- sometimes birds will be handed into police stations or be stuck in a tree and the fireies might have rescued him from the top of a tree.

Going out just before sunset to call might also help- birds do most of their calling at this time to check their flock mates are safe, so your bird might just be screaming him head off somewhere trying to find your dad

Yellowtail and pythoninfinite like this.
  16. pythoninfinite

pythoninfinite Subscriber Subscriber

Sleepless nights I'm sure... On a positive note, I used to breed eckies and B&G macaws, and at different times have had birds of both species escape, and I've always got them back. It may take three or four days, but hopefully you'll hear your bird calling, usually from a high vantage point, and at that time you can make sure you have a parrot cage open and with food inside in a very visible location. The advantage I have is that I live on a 100 acre bush block in a bush area, and although the birds travelled a long way from the house, they weren't subjected to suburban threats - dogs, cats, cars and people. At one stage a pair of our B&Gs flew across the valley over 5 km away (I could hear them calling) but they came back to the house the next morning and we caught them about two days later when they were really hungry and thirsty. They will usually stay as high as possible until they get really hungry, and this may be for 3 or 4 days.

So get up in the early morning and listen for your bird to call - you might find it is fairly close by, but not making any noise because it is frightened, but if it is close it will begin calling you. Both male & female eckies are damned hard to see in trees too.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Yellowtail, Snapped and pinefamily like this.
  17. Yellowtail

Yellowtail Subscriber Subscriber

Sorry but i can't add much that has not been covered already. I had a King Parrot and a Redtail go AWOL over the years and got both back with the help of my German Shepherd that was like part of their family. They usually don't go far unless frightened by something and there are no wild Eckies there for him to mix with. Have you tried putting flyers with a photo in all the mail boxes around the area? Chances are a hand raised bird will go to people.

18. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Very Well-Known Member

Ahhh Crap Vamps... I've had this happen twice in my life... Once with my dad's sulfur-crested cockatoo, flew off into a gum tree with about 4000 wild cockatoos... I thought dad was gonna shoot me over it... it's his dad's bird who passed away back in 1993... Dad came outside, put his fingers to his lips and let off an ear piercing whistle and Jack flew straight back.

The second instance involved a mate's Macaw which got panicked/spooked by something in the local pet store he'd bought it from months earlier, he had it back at the store for something and it was startled and just took off, out the door into the car-park... landed on the bitumen for a few seconds, he rushed out thinking a car was gonna flatten it and had to stand with his hands on his head in despair as it took flight again and headed for the horizon in a dead straight line... we never saw it again, that was 2 years ago.

19. Bluetongue1

Bluetongue1 APS Veteran APS Veteran

Whilst I have not posted, I have been keeping an anxious eye on the thread for any updates. From comments made in numerous posts, the relationship between you and your dad and your birds is palpable. I am also cognisant that recent past history would serve only to exacerbate the emotions involved at present. It is reassuring to see how much support and useful advice has been offered and help provided. There are no guarantees, but experiences such as Jamie’s do still provide a measure of hope. Just want you to know there are silent others out here who empathise and are hoping like hell for a positive resolution. Personal regards, Mike.

20. vampstorso

Thanks for all the support and well wishes.

My Dad is a lovely and maternal man, and this bird is very much so another child and doted on.

We've had two leads that ended up being nothing. But the bright side really is it means people are actually keeping an eye out and trying to help, and I really appreciate that so much.

Sorry for the short and rushed reply, been a long few days out in the sun looking around, I'm feeling rather overwhelmed.

I really thought we'd find him this weekend...I thought well...by now he must be hungry and thirsty, and it's lovely weather so heaps of people will be out and about. But no such luck yet.
    It's very sad.