Adult Male Central Bearded Dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustproof

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I usually have Pythons but my wife wanted a Bearded Dragon, I got her a rescue animal and got him a good sized enclosure, he has a wooden hide with fine stubstrate not sand. He has a wooden log to climb on and can get in to hide a bit. He scratches at the glass and rocks around, he also goes black under his chin. Originally he had red sand as a substrate but he was getting it everywhere and we had to bath him every night. We feed him Superworms and woodies along with Bok Choy and the occasional Pinkie Mouse.

I am wondering about the scratching, Rocking and Black under his chin. I am worried he is stressed for some reason. Because he was a rescue animal, he has no history and I don't have the experience with Bearded Dragons. We have three cats who don't go near the tank, but sit at a distance watching him like a TV Can someone tell me about these issues please.

All perfectly normal behaviour for a male beardie. All of what you have described is male mating behaviour, including head bobbing.
I wouldn't be feeding him too man pinkies unless he is undernourished. Is bok choy the only vegetable or fruit you feed him?

All perfectly normal behaviour for a male beardie. All of what you have described is male mating behaviour, including head bobbing.
I wouldn't be feeding him too man pinkies unless he is undernourished. Is bok choy the only vegetable or fruit you feed him?

Thanks for your reply. He has all sorts of salad stuff, grated carrots, bananas and Tomato. My wife is reading up on Beardies but I was a bit worried he was stressing and that wouldn't be good for him.

Having moved to rural SA, we now have the room to grow most of our own fruit and veg. It feels great picking fresh rocket and mustard greens each morning to feed our dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back