Advanced Reptile Thermostat Issues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorrie

Reaction score
Hi again. We have a new 6yo female Stimpson called Cara. She is happily feeding and also had a shed. I am now stressing over getting her heat right. I have now tried two thermostats. Both of the were Advanced Reptile Thermostat. Both have stopped generating heat to the ceramic heat lamp when the temp drops. It just seems to turn off and stay off. The second one we bought as it seemed a more simple set up. If I plug the heat into the mains I get 32 degrees in a matter of minutes. When the thermostat was working I was lucky to get it over 28-29 and that is with a heat mat as well. I am confused! They cant both be faulty can they? Other than that what is a brand that I can trust. Even with everything working the cool end sits at 28-30.

The ceramic heat lamp is 100w and the thermostat is placed about 10cm up from the floor in the warm end of the cage at the back.

my guess is 100 watts is too high a wattage for your cage. What size is you cage? What is the ambient temperature outside the cage? It is hard to get a gradient using ceramics as opposed to matts or cord as you are heating the air on the way down to the snake, so if there is any air movement the whole cage heats up. The thermostat probe should be where the snake sits to bask, probably on the floor.

Outside temps are hovering around late 20's. My cage is 81cm glass from pet shop. There would be air movement as it is in my sons room. So should I try just using the heat mat and take out the lamp? The thing is that if I use the thermostat with the heat source plugged in it won't keep the cage at a consistent temp. My main concern is that the thermostat doesn't seem to stay on when the temp drops under the specified low temp. It then beeps all night.

My choice would be a 15 watt heat mat (about a4 size) under a ceramic tile at one end of the tank. Measure the surface of the tile with a infra red heat gun, it should be about 32C. If you use a thermostat the sensor should be on /in the tile. The other end of your tank should be ambient the same as the outside temperature. That will consume far less power than a 100 watt ceramic = less cost and less damage to the planet. Also a better temperature gradient!

So at the moment the heat mat is under some large river rocks which are quite warm would that work the same as a heat mat and tile?

probably. just watch the snake. If it "hugs" the heat its too cold if it retreats from the heat its too hot. As long as there is an opportunity to escape the heat its ok. Is "river rocks are quite warm" too warm to hold your hand on them?

No the rocks are nicely warm. She has her head and neck on them at the moment. The heat mat is 10w but plugged into mains. Thermo and Temp reading 29.8 warm end. I will get one of those infra red readers I think because if rocks are actual 32ish then we are all good right? Still my main issue is the thermostat not working and turning the mat or the lamp off when it isnt even at the desired temp..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back