Advice Needed!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stompsy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a Pink Tongue Skink, he/she is only young and has an attitude problem. I was under the impression that a lot of Pink Tongue Skinks were like this, but alas, whilst picking up a new reptile on Saturday (not a PTS), I was able to interact with a wonderful little PTS with the same temperament as a Bluey.

This has made me want another PTS!

So, my question is, if I can find a PTS around the same size and age as the one currently in my care, can I house them together without risk of fighting?

I know this question has been asked a million times before and I am well aware that housing most species together is not advisable, but I thought I'd ask anyway as I've seen many PTS setups with multiple skinks in them and seem plenty of Bluey setups with more than one...

I'm well aware this is a noob question, but with the very limited amount of information available online for PTS's, I thought I'd ask here!

Thanks.

Hi Stompsy,

If you plan on keeping animals together provide lots of hides, give each animal plenty of space to retreat to if aggression is shown. You will need a bigger enclosure, try to feed individually rather than communally. The main contributors to aggression are territory and food. One animal will be dominate, give the other animals plenty of room to stay out of the way.

Regards,
Nick

And if you can, provide multiple basking spots. That way, both can get the best of everything.

Spot on pinefamily, the dominate animal could restrict other animals from much needed heat.

Thanks for the replies.

Right now he's in a 2.5 x 1.5 enclosure with lots of hides and an elevated hammock for basking. I'm assuming I'd need something bigger if I was to have two guys together.

Guess I have some thinking to do.

That enclosure would be big enough for 2 young or even adult pink tongues. They can be kept together but need lots of hides and possibly an extra heat source, as said previously. From experience they seem to like flexible tubing, such as pool hoses, to hide so if you could bury a few lengths of that around the place so they could escape each other, I wouldn't really see a problem. Also try to keep opposite sexes if known. And as far as handling goes, they seem to calm down a lot as they age. Young ones can be flighty but my adults are only ever hesitant if pregnant really.

That enclosure would be big enough for 2 young or even adult pink tongues. They can be kept together but need lots of hides and possibly an extra heat source, as said previously. From experience they seem to like flexible tubing, such as pool hoses, to hide so if you could bury a few lengths of that around the place so they could escape each other, I wouldn't really see a problem. Also try to keep opposite sexes if known. And as far as handling goes, they seem to calm down a lot as they age. Young ones can be flighty but my adults are only ever hesitant if pregnant really.

My current guy (unsure if male or female) is an angry little bugger. Lunges at me if I put my hand in the enclosure, bites at every opportunity, pees on me every time I handle and freezes for minutes at a time when out before trying to scurry off. Just hates me.

All that is fine, I really don't mind if he doesn't like handling but I would love one that does, because they are amazing little guys.

I might have to rethink the layout of the enclosure, but I could easily add another light and hammock for extra basking space. And my dude currently spends most of his time buried in the substrate so adding tubing wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for your advice, definitely food for thought. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back