Advice on water Dragons needed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

africancichlidau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
OK, it looks like I will be buying half a dozen eastern water dragons this week sometime. Now, they are only 2 months or so at the moment so will be kept indoors over winter but come spring they will be going outside. My question to the membership of this fine community is this: Will I be able to keep them in the same enclosure as my Eastern Longneck Turtles?
I look forward to your educated replies :) Thanks Guys and Gals :)

Hi Afric,
I know people that kept turtles and water dragons together in outside enclosures without any probs.I guess if they are around the same size it should be ok.

PS.. I mention similar sizes between the turtles and dragons as I am unsure if an adult turtle would mistake a smaller lizard as prey.I have also heard of smaller lizards trying to hide in the shell of the turtles via there leg slots causing irritation to the turtles skin.

Thanks CC, I hadn't actually thought of the turtles being bad boys to the dragons! I had been thinking more the other way around. The Dragons won't be going in with the turtles until they are close to a year old so I think things should be OK. They will live indoors for about six months in an ordinary enclosure then move out into a large reptarium to get some size about them before moving into the turtle enclosure. You reckon this should work out OK?

On a general note does anyone have any advice for me regarding things the animals would like that I haven't or may not have thought of? Any advice gratefully recieved :)

Sounds good Afric.
I dont see any probs with that approach.I kept my water dragons in an old above ground pool with a large pond and alot of sand/dirt etc.They prefer a long branch reaching over their pond where they will bask and dive into the water if frightened.

Thanks again CC, I have already chopped a tree down in the back yard to provide that very shaped branch :) I am looking forward to getting them now :) It also gives me a chance to get back into breeding cockroaches again :)

At my in laws farm there are long necks and water dragons in the river, both in large numbers, but obviously that is in an unrestricted space. I think someone posted on this a long time ago and the consensus was...... probably alright :twisted: . If they were all semi-adult to adult I don't think they would do any harm to each other, more a matter of whether they would stress each other out at all.
PS. Half a dozen???? getting back into dragons in a big way 8) [/b]

Lol Maggie, I was gonna take the whole clutch of 18 hatchies but got talked out of it :( The idea is that I only really want a trio but as they are hatchies and I can't be absolutely sure of sex I will get 6 and in about 6 months time when I can hopefully sex them accurately keep a trio and sell on the other three.

Ah, right. Good way to go if ya breed your own woodies. You probably even make the purchse price back by selling the other 3 at 6 months.

i remember hearing somewhere about turtles biting off tails of water dragons. I have no idea if this is true though

I reckon so too Maggie, thats if I can bear to part with them when the time comes :)

Thanks Alex, do you know what kind of turtles they were ?

I've seen it done at Aussie Reptile Park. One little dragon was actually sitting on the turtles back having a bask :lol: :lol: I've got a photo of it to but it's not very clear. Damn focusing.
Simon

:( :cry: Well guys and gals thanks for all your help but it looks like I was wasting your time! I have decided not to go ahead with the purchase because I can't get a discount for a bulk purchase. :cry:
I might just have to buy another pair of snakeys instead :)

Awwww that sux Afric,
But hopefully you will find a nice pair of pythons that take your fancy :D
Best of luck in your search ol buddy! :)

Damn :D :D :D more snakes! :? How will you cope????? May I suggest a lovely pair of water pythons? :D

Thanks for the commiserations guys.
If I was to buy a pair of waters I would have to join the order of the Glove! Not sure I am ready to wear them yet :lol:

An Olive Afrifishything!! :D
Clarice is settling now, and she's sooo cuddley and cute!! :D

Yeah Nic, I have been thinking along the lines of a pair of Olives but the only thing holding me back is room. Olives grow big and I'll have to soon increase the size of my enclosure for the Bredli and my coastals have a six foot and a converted wardrobe already, along with all the fishtanks and a few 6 x 3 guinea pig enclosures and an 8 X 6 Turtle enclosure along with a dozen rat tubs and 7 cages I think I might have to go for a slightly smaller species :lol:
Hmm, on second thoughts I don't think we need all that much room in the dunny :)

The bedroom, the lounge, the garage, start throwing out furniture to make room, nothing drastic, just stuff you don't really need like chairs, tables lounges beds... LOL

I know how you feel though, I had to convince Mark he didn't need book cases anymore, but an Olive enclosure instead. Boxes under the bed is good enough for our books. :lol: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back