Advice wanted - how to wean pythons from mice to rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_lover83

Reaction score
Hi All

I have 3 pythons, 2 of which were being fed on mice when I bought them. Whilst the transition from mice to rats was very easy for one of them (I simply heated her up a rat and she took it), the other is a quieter snake and has rejected rats every time I have tried to feed them to her but happily takes mice.

I was hoping that someone could give me some suggestions of how I can transition her from mice to rats? I am of course, feeding frozen (heating in hot water to defrost) and she takes 2 x adult mice at a time. Any help is appreciated.

I had that and i just scented the rat with mice by putting mice in with the rats in the frezzer and he took it pretty quick...

Hi All

I have 3 pythons, 2 of which were being fed on mice when I bought them. Whilst the transition from mice to rats was very easy for one of them (I simply heated her up a rat and she took it), the other is a quieter snake and has rejected rats every time I have tried to feed them to her but happily takes mice.

I was hoping that someone could give me some suggestions of how I can transition her from mice to rats? I am of course, feeding frozen (heating in hot water to defrost) and she takes 2 x adult mice at a time. Any help is appreciated.

Mine took them like a champ - smashed the rat first time I offered it to her. It's best to defrost the rat by placing in the fridge the night before, then using hot water to warm it up before serving to make sure all ice has melted.. sometimes blocks of ice can remain inside the rat when using hot water only to defrost.

I would suggest perhaps skipping a feed for that snake then scenting the rat with a few mice. You could also put a few pin pricks in the rats head with a tooth pik.

My stimmie switched over with no dramas hopefully my other pythons will do the same when they get older.

Mine took them like a champ - smashed the rat first time I offered it to her. It's best to defrost the rat by placing in the fridge the night before, then using hot water to warm it up before serving to make sure all ice has melted.. sometimes blocks of ice can remain inside the rat when using hot water only to defrost.

Apologies for not clarifying, yes, I do defrost them first before putting them in hot water.

scenting with mice seems to work best from what I've read on APS. my water python happilly switches between the two, however when he's being picky I usually just squeeze the skull of the item untill it yields... usually pushing some grey matter out the nose.. does the trick.
He only gets picky when he is well fed, as mentioned before if you skip a feed it should help.

Easiest way is to wait until spring/summer when their appetites are running full on.Offer a mouse slightly smaller than you usually would and have a smallish rat ready also.As the snake is swallowing the last mouthful hand feed the rat right behind it,ie:nose of the rat up the bum of the mouse.9 out of 10 times they will continue to eat,do this 3 or 4 times then just offer rat.

I have had a few snakes that took a bit to convert from mice to rats but the worst was a female jungle......I would do as ramsayi said and feed her a mouse and then shove a rat in her mouth as she was downing the mouse and after several weeks she would eventually take a mouse scented rat - it took a long time be she came around. After cooling her for her second season she came out guns blazing and would eat anything that was put in front of her.....I would reccomend trial feeding and after the first season when she is cooled stick with offering her rats and hopefully her hunger takes over.

Good luck,
Dave

Hi Dave

My pythons are too young to breed yet so I haven't been cooling them. I shall definitely try following the mouse with a rat. As she's eating 2 adult mice, I'll follow her next mouse with a hopper rat.

Thanks for all your help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back