AHS Meeting....What a Night! Thanks Everyone

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krefft

Reaction score
Well, it certainly lived up to the hype.

We had John Cann, John Weigel, Stephen Swanson, Ken Griffiths, Peter Harlowe, Michael Cermak and several other legends of the hobby come along to support the night.

A big thanks to Symbio Wildlife Park for bringing along all their animals. For some of the newer members they were a real hit.

Snake Ranch provided a few pairs of snakes to be auctioned and Reptiles Australasia donated a yearly subscription.

Greg Miles was fantastic. Both his talks were some of the best we have seen. The team at Reptiles Australasia flew Greg down for the night, and kindly donated 200 copies of the magazine to the society, which we were able to sell to members at a discounted price.

A big thank you to all who attended and helped make it the success that it was.

We have several other big speakers arranged for the rest of the year, so we hope to see more of you there.

Attachments

• IMG_3336.jpg
    IMG_3336.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_3337.jpg
    IMG_3337.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_3339.jpg
    IMG_3339.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3341.jpg
    IMG_3341.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_3343.jpg
    IMG_3343.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_3358.jpg
    IMG_3358.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_3359.jpg
    IMG_3359.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Great night, great speakers, great to see some familiar faces gain...very interesting evening, well done!

Thanks for donating the snakes for the auction John....can't wait to see my new childreni!

What a night!, thankyou Greg for coming down and giving an excellent presentation on Pig Nosed Turtles and how he managed to breed them in captivity,
I wouldn't mind visiting him and having a dip in the 28-30degrees water pond that he keeps them in!,
They also had reptiles australasia for 10bucks for 2! Bargain
I'm definetly planning on going next time.....

just relised that i would of been in the photo with anthony if i didn't move, lol

Was a great night, Greg was a very entertaining speaker. His background and passion were no obstacle. The Symbio guys brought a few choice animals along. Great to see the young rhinosaurus iguana. They were so common in zoos when I was a kid. What happened to them all?
Some really interesting speakers to come so I expect there will be plenty of bums on seats in future.
It gave the evening a very good vibe. I dont know how John makes a profit with the number of animals he keeps giving away.

Certainly did live up the hype, Greg's talks were very good, his humorous presentation on pig nosed turtles was particularly enjoyable.

Thanks Chris & the AHS committee, Greg Miles, Symbio, John Weigel, & Reptiles Australasia for a great night & good to see a number of new AHS members sign as well.

Thank you, to all for making it a memorable night. Greg is one of the best presenters i have ever heard and really impressed with his extreme knowledge and witty sense of humour. The audience was laughing constantly through the pig nosed turtle presentation.

I have just been going through the attendance books an official numbers in attendance was 90. Some of our young audience got to meet people such John Cann, Steve Swanson, Alex Dudely, John Weigel, Ken Griffiths, Glenn Shea, Peter Harlow, Michael Cermack and of course Greg Miles.

The atmosphere was buzzing and Symbio's presentation and animals were a great hit. This followed by special offers on magazines from Reptiles Australasia and animals from snake ranch insured most left with a bargain.

It was great to see so many new faces and i hope they all thoroughly enjoyed it and we will see many of you again. The upcoming speaker list is as follow;

August - Tim Faulkner from the Australian Reptile Park
September - David Williams - Clinical Toxinologist
October - Dr Bryan Fry -Venom laboratory at UQ

As the venue will fill fast for this massive line-up, i suggest you consider becoming a member so you don't miss out.

Cheers Gird

Last edited:
Yes meeting was excellent. Good enough for me to go ahead and become a member so I can make it a regular thing.

Well done guys.

Great night guys well done to all involved. It was my first time attending and i left with a membership form of course. The vibe was much better then some other societies i have looked at joining in the past.
T

It went very well indeed - the organisers - Chris, MD (President) and all the others who put it together need full credit. Been to hundreds of reptile club meetings in the past decades, but this tops them all for atmosphere and interest. The attendee list read like an extract from Australia's 'Reptiles Who's Who!'

A credit to all concerned! The poet was FANTASTIC!!!

Jamie

It was a great night!
Greg Miles' talks were the highlight of the evening. His talks are the perfect mix of highly informative, interesting and entertaining. I think it was the best herp gathering that I've ever been to. It seemed everywhere you turned there was a famous herpetologist.

I hope everyone got home ok!

We had John Cann, John Weigel, Stephen Swanson, Ken Griffiths, Peter Harlowe, Michael Cermak and several other legends of the hobby come along to support the night.

Holy moly! That's the one thing I miss about living in Sydney. It's a hub - a gathering like that is more likely to happen there than anywhere else in Australia.

Just as an aside, and not meaning to start a debate, but we sorely need to add some female legends to that list. :)

I was planning to go but only had an hour sleep the night before and kept having microsleeps throughout the day... sucks I missed it :(

I was planning to go but only had an hour sleep the night before and kept having microsleeps throughout the day... sucks I missed it :(

Perfect timing you put that under the female legends comment :D
I wish I could've gone as well, sucks living so far away :(

Holy moly! That's the one thing I miss about living in Sydney. It's a hub - a gathering like that is more likely to happen there than anywhere else in Australia.

Just as an aside, and not meaning to start a debate, but we sorely need to add some female legends to that list. :)

Your comments about women in the business are timely Renenet - Reptiles Australasia is addressing that matter in every issue with our "Women in Focus" sections - we have our own Aimee Silla's profile in our first issue, along with an outline of the iguana work of Dr Stesha Pasachnik in Honduras. Highlighting the work of women will be routine in Reptiles Australasia, and I know Neil is keen to arrange an entire Symposium around the significance of women 'in the business.'

Long overdue we think.

Jamie

Jamie, an article on Jeanette Covacevich probably wouldn't be amiss.

What a fantastic night! A big thank you to the speakers for giving up their time to come and see us...and to everyone who made the effort to be there..you are welcome back anytime.I could hardly find a spare seat!...and we didn't run out of cake...always a bonus...:)I want a pig-nose now!Kelly

We could've run out of cake. Daz, tonks and myself got through over a dozen pieces before deciding to leave some for the rest

Yeah i notice you didn't put a cold coin donation for each slice either ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back