Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spotlight

Reaction score
what is everyones veiws on the price drop of the albino carpets? it seems strange to me that for years the womas,blackheads,jungles,greens all stayed at there higher price and now they are all heading down hill fast!!, i bet a heap of breeders got burnt after handing over a small fortune for there breeders hoping to get there money back and then some? , on the other hand its a shame as when i first started keeping snakes 28yrs ago at the age of 10 these snakes where always my dream but i could never afford them and they are such a beautiful animal that they deserved the price!. WHAT IS HAPPENING???

I think it comes down to trends changing.They become more popular making more people want them. Which then turns into more people breeding them and flooding the market with them lowering the price.

They are also now on the basic permit in alot of states making them more desirable.Meaning more people will breed them to supply to new herpers which again floods the market lowering the price.

but you have to remember that bhps and womas supposedly take a bit more talent to breed and they have smaller clutches. darwins, are easy to breed and quick to breed plus have large clutches

yes i unders tand that the size of the clutch makes a difference because i have been breeding blackheads for years and the biggest clutch i have ever had is 8, but now im selling my clutches for $500 each and there are some even selling for $400 ,and as you just said its a lot more work breeding blackheads then carpets

im not into the money for profit,like most larger breeders we use the money to build bigger and better cageing for our animals,expand our animals and buying expensive frozen rats and mice to keep them going (as my wife always told me if they pay for them selves i dont care what you do!! lol )

my opinon is that it is not just one thing that has caused the change. prices are down on nearly all species simply because supply is getting larger then demand. the hobby has grown massive since a few years ago. but also, ppl dont have as much money to spend at this current time. there fore ppl wanting to off load hatchies will sell them cheap. but also that ppl are ppl and they want to get everything as cheaply as they can.

yes i unders tand that the size of the clutch makes a difference because i have been breeding blackheads for years and the biggest clutch i have ever had is 8, but now im selling my clutches for $500 each and there are some even selling for $400 ,and as you just said its a lot more work breeding blackheads then carpets

Striking animals will also always pull more money than the more common looking animals meaning that BHP or Womas or Greens or whatever that stand out from the rest will command a higher price as they will still be desirable to the collector rather than the newer pet keepers.

i havnt been into reps for long but when i first got in2 them the bhp womas jungles were all sittin around 900-2000 im amazed in the last 2 years they are that low but i no of alot of ppl buyin 1 python and within the next 3-4 months they have a pair of somethin 2 breed the next season

yes but in saying that ive seen adds come up with the ugliest animals i have ever seen in all my years of herping with the words (reduced black ,reduced pattern ,hypo,) at stupid prices and i remove better looking animals from local yards

It comes with the hobby, as animals become more common and less desirable they drop in price. It's all about supply and demand.

Yes have to agree about the supply and demand it also comes down to peoples perception of what is unique or rare in captivity. Line breeding for colours or patterns or traits also has a spin off effect where what people dont need they sell and at a fairly cheep price. Its about getting the right balance between having something unique to offer people and not excessivly breeding these animals to get an end result faster. My 2 cents any how :)

I think its great for Victoria, now there is more choice to be found in pet shops, Amazing Amazon in Victoria has a 6 month old male albino for $1600!

Supply and demand!!!! If there's alot of supply and not a lot of demand, the price will drop!!! I for one am happy to be able to pick up an albino cheap!!! Now if I could just pick up a super zebra for next to nix I'll be laughing!!!

I think its great for Victoria, now there is more choice to be found in pet shops, Amazing Amazon in Victoria has a 6 month old male albino for $1600!
i too think its great , only because i plan on buying some albinos later this year ;)

ppl said they would sell there albino's for 1k last year, it didnt happen, see what happens this season.. im looking forward to cheaper albino's aswell, maybe one day they will be the same price as 'good' carpets..if ppl keep breeding them like they are & make them more common they will..

too many people see the price on these animals and start breeding as many as they can as fast as they can, when you cant get rid of animals you drop the price. its getting worse every year.

Worse for who? ANd is it really a bad thing?

too many people see the price on these animals and start breeding as many as they can as fast as they can, when you cant get rid of animals you drop the price. its getting worse every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back