Albino Darwin problems please look

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm my opinion id say it was powefed,
To increase its size quickly and thus swelling it's bowls due to pushing out massive qtys of food.
It's should return to normal once regular feeding is resumes as long as no damage is already done.

I'm my opinion id say it was powefed,
To increase its size quickly and thus swelling it's bowls due to pushing out massive qtys of food.
It's should return to normal once regular feeding is resumes as long as no damage is already done.

Have you had experience with this or is this just a guess? Honestly curious....

Planky can you give us an update? Should be obvious that this is not associated with being an Albino by now

Update,.. Still looks/feels swollen and the last shot of meds will be given soon and then I have to repeat the medication process in 2 weeks

I have a blackheaded that has a big lump just before the cloaca I took it to the vet they did tests and rang other vets, in the end they came to the conclusion that it is paralasis of the lower part of the bowel. They gave me the name of it but I have forgotten what it was. They said that it is not a rare thing and it wont trouble the snake that was about 10 months ago and its still fine. But it doesn't look very nice. sort of looks like a water balloon at the end of its tail

Well thats a good reason never to buy reptiles from pet stores just make sure the encloser is very clean but you took the albino to the vet so well done and hope It improves

Hi, what have you been feeding the python and how many feeds has it had since you purchased it?
It never ceases to amaze me how a healthy animal bred by the same 'breeders' you are all refering to change into a dodgy animal the second they
pass through the front doors of a store.

I offer him a fuzzy mouse every 4 od days or so, I don't leave the mouse in the tank either, I quickly offer and if he doesn't take it I'll give it to the frogs

I have just recently purchased an albino darwin (he is my third snake). I have been led to beleive via research and talking to other breeders, that the care required is no different to that of any normal python. Any abnormalities with the python should be investigated by a repitle vet and it is definately not normal for this to happen with any anincal reptile or alike.

But it doesn't look very nice. sort of looks like a water balloon at the end of its tail
Lol - my gtp does that all the time, she hangs on and on, and then a nice mess to clean up, she knows though, when I have plenty of time and waiting for her to go she won't. But when I am busy and every min counts that's when she goes....

Maybe it has loose stools because the feed doesn't have enough substance, you could try bumping up her feed size
and feed less often. My albino darwin is (about the same age) he is on hopper rats (ate 2 last feed) and is about
to move up in size. However I only feed once every week. If the vet has checked out the bowel I assume it isn't impacted?

Maybe it has loose stools because the feed doesn't have enough substance, you could try bumping up her feed size
and feed less often. My albino darwin is (about the same age) he is on hopper rats (ate 2 last feed) and is about
to move up in size. However I only feed once every week. If the vet has checked out the bowel I assume it isn't impacted?

I have doubled the size of the food compared to what the pet shop was offering the snake and it's only eaten roughly 4-5 times due to it shedding

If you want to keep it try feeding it a little less often, like every 6 days....If it doesn't eat wait 2-3 days and try again but give it 6-7 days between ea feed. This might give the bowels etc a chance to settle down.

Did the vet say anything about the diarrhoea?

I'm sorry but personally I would still be taking the animal back and asking for a refund while I could. The pet shop can then send the animal back to the breeder to look after. A swollen intestine and diarrhoea still after it has had a course of antibiotics is not a good sign. I know you've had it for a few weeks and it's your baby and you've done your best to try and look after it but the truth of the matter is it is obviously not healthy and not what you paid for.

I was planing on taking it back, the lady who I got the snake off at the shops ment to be calling me today So lets see what they say. Will keep posted on any progress thanks for all the help

I don't think albino's are any different to the normal type, apart from no black pigment... just treat them as a different coloured, thats all.

Have you had experience with this or is this just a guess? Honestly curious....

Planky can you give us an update? Should be obvious that this is not associated with being an Albino by now

I have had experience in it, had a het Darwin slow feeder and doubled his feeds for 2 weeks.
After he went no.2s it appeared.

Went away after a few weeks of regular feeding.
Then seen it again when a friend did it to a diamond hatchy.

Also the antibiotics are what is continuing the diarrhea, when my albs and others get a string of bad bacteria in them and start the runny pood I give them 1ml skwirt of natural yogurt twice a week for 2 weeks.
This replaces bad bacteria with good and allows proper digestive movements to return.
I would also suggest waiting 2 weeks to resume feeding, by this time it would have dedicated remaining food out and can start fresh.
And like others said it could prob use the break

Last edited:
Update..... Pet shop didn't call when told they would call so I went in there and the lady who I was told I had to see/speak to said " there's nothing I can do u gotta talk to the manager but he's only on mon-thurs" What a great outcome

I have doubled the size of the food compared to what the pet shop was offering the snake and it's only eaten roughly 4-5 times due to it shedding

Doubling it's feed from a pet shop means nothing. They under feed cos it's all $. Fuzzies and pinkies have no "roughage" you need to up the the food to give it something that wont be fluid in the bowel. Give it a rest with feeds then offer a bigger mouse to get something with substance then get it on rats.
And if you like the yoghurt idea you can shove some down the mouse/ rat throat and see how that goes.

Last edited:
Update. Pet shop has failed to call me, ( what a shock lol ) and 1 week after the first course of Meds there has been no change in his lower regions. I am going to call the pet shop tomorrow I'm sick of waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back