Albino Darwin Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elise Salvio

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have recently purchased two Albino Darwin pythons from a seller who had them for only a couple months there both yearlings and have been kept in the same tank.
Both from different breeders
I wanting to know if keeping them in the same tank is a good idea, I am planning to breed them when they are older.

Not sure of the laws of whatever state you are in but in VIC you are not supposed to sell unless you have held them for a minimum period of 6 months. I think most states are the same unless there are mitigating circumstance. Special permission is rarely granted from my understanding.

You can keep them together but most people tend to separate them as it makes feeding easier.

I didn't know that thanks for letting me know,

I don't feed them in the tank they are both fed on the same day out of the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look very much like 2 that were being offered around last week. They had RI and mites

Welcome to APS Elise. :)
As I told you in our previous conversation, people will tell you it is ok to keep them together, but there is always that risk that one might turn on the other.
No offence, Pauls_Pythons.

Thanks
Yea I think I will separate them,
What about when you put them together for breading is there a less chance of them turning on each other when there older

I bought them 2 Fridays ago ?

No offence taken PF. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion. (I actually keep all mine separate including my Diamonds)
Darwins are not BHP's so no cannibalism to worry about.
There is always risk but if they are similar sizes the risk is minimal.

I'm like you, P_P. We keep ours separate unless we want to breed them. Not so much cannibalism to worry about as one attacking the other, which has happened with people keeping morelias together.
Elise, RI is respiratory infection, but I wouldn't be too concerned. The person that posted that seems to have just signed up. Strange thing to be posting first up.
You say that you've had snakes in the past; you will be able to tell if these 2 are sick or not.

I signed up in order to pass on that information, 2 yearling albinos "from 2 different breeders" with early stage RI and mites were offered to someone I know, my concern was for the snakes as they may need attention. For the record I was a member years ago and have a large collection of morelia.

No worries, Yellowtail. Thanks for clarifying that. Sometimes people sign up with different agendas. And thanks for the heads up.
Elise, keep a close eye on the pythons. I'd pull out whatever substrate is in the tank, and put paper towel. This will help identify if there are mites. You will be able to see "black dots" on the paper towel, and if you can squish one between your finger nails, then it is a mite.
With the potential RI, possibly a trip to a reptile vet could be warranted, either now, or if the pythons show any signs of being sick.
And it wouldn't hurt to report the seller to the state licensing authorities either., if the RI and mites turn up.

Thanks everyone for all your help :)
They where sold to me in a 3 foot tank from a guy in Redcliffe QLD
They are both looking healthy both ate last Monday and the female is about to shed
I think there around 10 months old female around 70cm and the male 80cm
Just set up the other tank the other day and now have separated them
[emoji16]

Good luck with your pythons, Elise.
Don't be afraid to ask a question on here; someone will be able to help.

Hi everyone just have a question about my make albino Darwin python when I go to get him out he is always under his big water bowl he has dug himself a hole under there

Temp is set to turn heat lamp on at 28 degrees but because of how hot it's been it hasn't had to turn on in the tank the temp is sitting on 34 degrees and humidity siting at 60%

Does anyone know why he would be under his water bowl and is it bad

Hi everyone just have a question about my make albino Darwin python when I go to get him out he is always under his big water bowl he has dug himself a hole under there

Temp is set to turn heat lamp on at 28 degrees but because of how hot it's been it hasn't had to turn on in the tank the temp is sitting on 34 degrees and humidity siting at 60%

Does anyone know why he would be under his water bowl and is it bad

Do you have a temperature gradient across the enclosure with a cool spot it can escape the heat- it sounds like your snake is looking for a cool spot

Yea one side is cool, but he seems to be under To water bowl since I took the female out that he was housed with

And his pretty cold when I take him out from under the rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back