Albino Darwin stopped eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcsmitdogg

Reaction score
Please help. I have an Albino Darwin Carpet Python that only a couple of months old. He has stopped eating and I don't know what to do. I've tried, mice rats, braining them, scenting them, left them overnight. I don't know what to do.

How long have you had it? Has anything changed since it last fed: moved to different enclosure, area of the house?

Does it have a heat source? Won’t eat if it’s cold

It has a heat mat and a ceramic heater aswell as lighting it maintains about 32 degrees.... I've had it a month and was eating weekly fine but now just defencively tags its food and leaves it there...
[doublepost=1522222502,1522222447][/doublepost]
How long have you had it? Has anything changed since it last fed: moved to different enclosure, area of the house?
Nothing has changed :-(

Only the weather. But that shouldn't affect a snake of the age yours is.
How long since it has shed? And how long since it has actually shed?

Does it have heat 24/7?
I heat all my hatchies through winter and use 24/7 heat as a means to stop the natural triggers that would normally tell them to stop eating.
That said it is still a bit early for them to be going off food so double check your temps, try different food and you might like to work through some of the suggestions on this thread........

https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/my-snake-wont-eat.220560/

Thanks guys, I put a hopper mouse in there last night and this morning it is gone, so at least he has eaten something........ as for the heat its on a thermostat and drops to about 20 overnight.... I don't understand what went wrong or why he didn't eat, he shed about 2 weeks ago.

95% of feeding problems can be solved simply by wiggling the warmed prey item.

A python’s natural instinct is to basically strike at movement after smelling prey, as they are ambush hunters .

Watch my centrilian python (great feeder) feeding in this video ...

This particular time , I brought the warmed rat over to the enclosure, and by the time I had unlocked and opened the door, the python had smelt the rat and cane launching out of the enclosure so fast it startled me, and I basically dropped the rat and ran for my life (lol).

He could smell it, sense it’s warmth, but you will see in video that it’s not until I nudge the rat with a broom handle that he actually strikes!

DF4C506A-D060-463E-8223-DDB429BAB589.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back