Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenmouse

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
If you crossed an albino nt with a b/g jungle or any other normal carpet and then bred the het offspring together would you get albino offspring. and if this process was repeated a few times would it be possible to introduce the albino gene to a line of jungles or coastals.

yes and it is/has been done as we speak :)

*stands back and waits for it*

How can you get rid of the Darwin in them, when thats where the albino gene comes from. As long as they have anything to do with the Albino Darwin gene, they aren't able to have the Darwin bred out of them.

yes your right spike, and to answer the question a bit more accuratly, yes you can introduce the albino gene to a jungle line but it will allways be a jungle x line no matter how much breeding to pure jungles is done after the first cross.

There are hatchies available this season i belive.

No, you cannot make an albino Jungle, only an albino Jungle-looking hybrid.

in dog breeding circles i believe if you cross breed an animal then breed it back through original lines (five times i think) it can then be registered as a pure bred

Find/breed an albino Jungle and you won't have to worry about the Darwin influence.

Dabool - You can introduce the gene to a line of Jungles - but they will never be Jungles again...

...as Donk has stated - expect to see this soon - I sympathise with the poor person who breeds the first legitimate Albino Jungles etc - the way hybridisation is coming along it will be almost impossible to convince anyone they are 'Pure'...

yeh. you could breed it back to a jungle again. after five gens
BUT
you won have the albino gene in them still

No you would have the albino gene still present, and if they are originally produced by crossing a darwin with a jungle, then breeding the offspring you will get albino jungles, but as a few have already said, they will be jungle crosses. If you then breed them to jungles again, then breed those offspring, you will be getting a more % Jungle, but as said again, it will still always have darwin blood preset.
What you can end up with is like the yanks say.. 88% diamond jungle, or 50% diamond jungle, etc but it would be a % Jungle/Darwin.

That is unless the albino mutation spontaniously gets bred in a pure line of jungles, but unfortunately.. again as others have said before, the poor breeder that is actually lucky enough for this to happen for them will always have a very hard time getting anyone to actually believe they are of pure jungle origins.

You could in theory breed the albino darwin into many morelia subspecies. I feel that in the next ten years we will be crossing the line from having good pure Aussie stock to being a Mcdonalds franchise.
Sad, but I don't think people will be able to resist the temptation of hybridisation and dollars.

the reason i put this forward is not because i was curious weather or not it is possible, as i know it is. i thought i would put it out there as comercial preassure will cause this to happen i am sure. i am all for keeping the carpet sub species pure. it is my understanding that the smaller jungles can be sexually mature with a hyper diet in 2 1/2 years where as an nt 3 1/2 -4 1/2 years minimum so there will be the temptation for this to occur. as for them not being pure jungles after the fifth time around of breeding pure junlges back to hets i caculate that they will be 1/64th nt or 1.5 % nt and 98.5% jungle left in the line pretty pure i recon. how many jungle lines out there are that pure wild or captive.

There is no such thing as pretty pure, even after 20 generations it still wont be a pure jungle. But I do agree a lot of the so called jungles out there are probably tainted.

mean while back in the real world 1.5% is close enough to being pure. unless you have a degree in advanced genetics and work daily with dna testing or more over run the line back through the het offspring once more and make it 1/128th or 0.8% nt and 99.2% jungle. thats only six generations.so 20 .generations would make 0.004% nt

6 generations and about 20 years of line breeding.

As long as the Albino gene is in the "Jungles" then they are not pure.

Its illegal Aust wide to cross breed reptiles!
NPWL are doing a lot of research on identifiying cross species through DNA.
They are already useing it for court cases with proving tproof he reptiles didnt come from the breeders they stated.
Jason

The other thing is each time you breed a het albino jungle x or albino jungle x back to a jungle, you will not end up with any albino animals. To have any albino offspring there must be an albinoo gene present in both parents. So you could go on doing it as long as you like and you will never get pure or 99.9% pure (whatever) albino jungle! Unless it is a cross!

Its illegal Aust wide to cross breed reptiles!
NPWL are doing a lot of research on identifiying cross species through DNA.
They are already useing it for court cases with proving tproof he reptiles didnt come from the breeders they stated.
Jason

Jason,
Where did you hear about what NPWS are doing from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back