albino small eyed snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Specks

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i was reading the gold coast bulletin and did any1 else see the ablino small eyed snake. a guy found it and took it to currumbin wildlife snactuary where it is being help now.i reckon it is really cool and extremely rare to find. they said it was approx 3 years old. it obviously has had some good luck lately. they said they were going to release it soon. why? i reckon they should keep it for research and display. what do u think?

btw here is a pic

Attachments

• ablino small eyed.jpg
    ablino small eyed.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 831
They arn't that rare.A few books go on about albino Small eyed snakes. Altho I can't remember the names of the books , I do remember pics.

I was given an albino Keelback late last year that was the victim of a cat attack. It didn't survive but is currently in my freezer...I really should get it to the museum one day.

Pretty cool snake but would serve more benefit in captivity.

That's pretty cool. I saw a T+ albino a couple of years ago (in the wild, not all that far north of where this T- albino is from). I took a couple of pictures and left it where it was.

Most people don't like them too much, I can't say I get all that excited over them. An albino may be worth keeping for a zoo display, but I suppose they figure Joe Average would be far more impressed by a pretty Corn Snake, which would also be much easier to care for. I am sure many people would put their hand up to take it and it would probably be better off in a private collection than in an owl's belly, which will probably happen soon after they release it!

But think of the owl Sdaji!

Someone sent me pics of a T- albino small eyed a year or two back as well.

But think of the owl Sdaji!

Someone sent me pics of a T- albino small eyed a year or two back as well.

Heh, those things are so tough even the albino versions manage to survive pretty well! :lol: Up on a mountain in the Kinglake Ranges at about 9.30pm on a winter night in southern Victoria I saw one active on a cold road this year, in an area still blackened and lifeless from the fires. It was very healthy and in great condition, apparently very happy living in the ash. Those things just can't be killed and seem to thrive in any temperature or condition.

Considering that all Albinos originate from the wild,its still a great find...MARK

i watched the news and i know the guy from currumbin wildlife sanctaury that was holding it. not holding it just using a hook and tailing

Nice find...alot of small elapids do pop up as albino's here is one that I found way back when....93-94ish.

Attachments

• WCS001.jpg
    WCS001.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 132
So i gather that both parents had the Albino gene,which resulted in this one being albino,I dont its chances of surviving too long in the wild...But then again its survived this long....Great find Great snake..MARK

I was given an albino Keelback late last year that was the victim of a cat attack. It didn't survive but is currently in my freezer...I really should get it to the museum one day.

Pretty cool snake but would serve more benefit in captivity.

shame it didn't make it. maybe there are more down at the same spot.

Last edited:
What species are they Ecosnake and Ozzie Python...In all your years Jonno is that the only albino Keelback you have seen or heard off..Have you ever came across any other Albinos in the wild....I bet the QLD musuem would appreciate that speciemen....MARK

jason, not unless you can get its eggs or sperm out of jonnos freezer.

mark, that is the albino keelback, i had a call to pick it up after a cat dragged it in. unfortunately epa would not allow me to hang onto it, and in all honesty at the time i had no idea how to look after anything but pythons. i wish i had kept it but it wasn't in the best interest of the snake. i figured it best go to jonno for a chance to stay in captivity rather than be released again.

So i gather that both parents had the Albino gene,which resulted in this one being albino,I dont its chances of surviving too long in the wild...But then again its survived this long....Great find Great snake..MARK

What species are they Ecosnake and Ozzie Python...In all your years Jonno is that the only albino Keelback you have seen or heard off..Have you ever came across any other Albinos in the wild....I bet the QLD musuem would appreciate that speciemen....MARK

The snake I posted up was a female gravid white crowned snake, we kept the snake until she laid the eggs, we incubated the eggs to see if the offspring was albino. None were. All young and mother were released back where she was found. Cant remember which issue it was but it was recorded in one of the early Herpetofauna's. So we can say that albino's can live and breed in the wild.

Marc

found it : Journal Article Furbank, Marc;Nelson, Steven 1994 Reproduction notes and first record of albinism in the white crowned snake Cacophis harriettae (Serpentes: Elapidae) Herpetofauna 24 2 31-32

Last edited:

Apparently Bob Irwin found one in the 1970's. I meant to ask him the other week when I met him but totally forgot.

re albino

Waste of time releasing albinos,quite ridiculous,should be given to a university,museum or private keeper so that they can be studied or bred etc,like throwing the baby out with the bath water IMO
The onley interesting albino i heard of was from a friend who is a railway worker north of wollongong,they found an albino tiger snake in the early eighties near scarborough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back