Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree it is either a het or it is not a het. The idea of 50% het seems deceptive to me. Can i get ten hets and ten normals and sell the normals as 50% hets to command a higher price?

It's merely a probability, if you breed a 100% het to a normal then each individual in the clutch has a 50% chance of being a Het. I don't see it as deceptive but of course it is open to exploitation and I wouldn't by a Het whether it be 50%, 66% or 100% unless I knew and trusted the breeder.

Just FYI, there is no such thing as a 25% het either.

If you have a 100% het and breed it to a normal you have 50% hets. If you put one of these 50% Hets over a normal, technically you have a clutch of 25% hets.

I find myself in the same situation as the OP sometimes and wish someone would just give a simple answer like " 100% Het in a mating gives a better chance of an Albino in the clutch" or something like that instead of sending them looking at Genetics sites. (please don't take my example as being the answer, it was just a simplified type answer for example) I know there are thousands of sites for peeps to get the answer from but i think it would be nice for someone who knows to just say x+y=t regardless of how many times it has been said here, IMO it would just be a nice courtesy. :) ..............................Ron

Ron
Hope this helps simplify it for you.... save it to your computer for future reference if needed.

Ooops just read you post in a different way the second time.... so this can be for others to refer too.

Attachments

• Gene spread sheet.jpg
    Gene spread sheet.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 85
Are there still unknown (66%,50%) albino Darwin hets around? I would think these would retail at the same price or at least not much higher than a wildtype. I would expect 100% hets to only be another $100 dollars or so more expensive than wildtypes.

Every man and his dog seems to be trying their hand with breeding, and there are a lot of albinos on the market. The average price of albino Darwins, last hatchy season seemed have being around $800.

Whereas I can see why even 50% albino hets in olives and macs are more expensive, as these animals are still uncommon in the hobby.

Are there still unknown (66%,50%) albino Darwin hets around? I would think these would retail at the same price or at least not much higher than a wildtype. I would expect 100% hets to only be another $100 dollars or so more expensive than wildtypes.

Every man and his dog seems to be trying their hand with breeding, and there are a lot of albinos on the market. The average price of albino Darwins, last hatchy season seemed have being around $800.

Whereas I can see why even 50% albino hets in olives and macs are more expensive, as these animals are still uncommon in the hobby.
Most het Darwin's are around the 100 mark maybe more if that's the only snake you buying... Most people but an albino and get a 100% het as well at a reasonable price

So ive got a albino darwin and a 66% het darwin, does that mean about 1/2 should become full albino or is this incorrect sorry im all very very behind with the genes !!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 4

So ive got a albino darwin and a 66% het darwin, does that mean about 1/2 should become full albino or is this incorrect sorry im all very very behind with the genes !!

Only if the 66% is actually a het. If it's not then you will get all hets

If the guy who sold it too you was fair he should have explained this before you got it. There is a 2 in 3 chance that the 66% possible animal is a het and a 1 in 3 chance that the 66% possible animal is normal. Inclusion of the word POSSIBLE before the percentage gives a better discription although some sellers like to keep the discription vauge. Most breeders just sell possibles as normals to save the future arguements and dissappointment.

Heterozygote means it contains both genes. Albino mutation is recessive so hets always resemble wildtype (normal) animals.
Mikey mike, with regard to your most recent post I have quoted your original post to keep it relevant.
My post wasnt worded as well as I could have. Your second sentence is absolutely correct however in regards to the first sentence a heterozygote will only carry one allele for albino (or whatever the recessive trait is). A homozygous recessive is what will carry both alleles for albino and as such it will be albino.
When I said a het contains one allele, I was referring to one albino allele.
At any locus there can only be two alleles, one from each parent.

Aaron

"Mikey mike, with regard to your most recent post I have quoted your original post to keep it relevant.
My post wasnt worded as well as I could have. Your second sentence is absolutely correct however in regards to the first sentence a heterozygote will only carry one allele for albino (or whatever the recessive trait is). A homozygous recessive is what will carry both alleles for albino and as such it will be albino.
When I said a het contains one allele, I was referring to one albino allele.
At any locus there can only be two alleles, one from each parent.

Aaron"

Spot on but I'm not really sure how you could misconstrue what I said in this context. Both genes ie both alleles clearly means one copy of both alleles.

Anyway, I think anyone who could be bothered to read this now understands what het means.

A related& intriguing question is what is going on with the 2 lineages of albino darwins. It seems to me that the chances of both being separate mutations affecting the same allele in the production of tyrosine are pretty slim - given the number of genes involved in manufacturing & transporting tyrosine. Hence a cross from the 2 lineages would most likely produce heterozygotes for both mutations & thus wild type phenotypes - yet I've read on this forum that they produce albino offspring.

So 2 solutions seem reasonably likely: either both lineages are related or both lineages stem not from a new mutation, but from a recessive gene that is present in the population in a reasonably low frequency.

I'd love to know. It would be a neat, simple project - but I'm no longer researching. Must be an interested student out there somewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back