Alittle frog advice wanted

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweethips12

Reaction score
Ok yesterday i got 3 adult green tree frogs (one of them is the blue one i posted about alittle while ago, i will put photos up of him later after he has settled in)

Anyways, when i got them, the blue one has a patch of missing skin off his nose as if he has been rubbing against something. The other males mouth seems alittle squished with alittle skin missing as if he has been smashing into glass or something. What i am wanting to know, is will this heal and is there anything i can do for them?

Also just a quick question about substrate. Ive been doing alot of reading and research, and everything i came across said to use peat moss or coco fibre. I am finding this VERY messing. Would it hurt to use untreated 10mm by 10mm peices of bark stuff u buy from the petshop?

Will try and post some pics later.

Last edited:
Sweethips,
I am no expert of any discription, however I have been keeping frogs for about 10 years now, I have 4 GTF along with others. In my experiance the frogs will occationallu get scratches and marks on their skin, either from scratching themselves or being bitten by housemates. None of mine have ever had any deep cuts on them but, the smaller marks have never caused any problems. If they are still eating well and does not seam to be causing any discomfort or lack of mobility I would suggest to keep a close eye on them and wate for it to heal. If they begin to look infected or you are realy concerned take them to a local vet just to be safe. Frogs will often rub their noses along the edge of the tank so if the previous owner had mesh acros the top that would explain the injuries.

How long have you had them and what sort of setup are they in?? Make sure they wont scratch their noses again.

As for substrate, there are heaps of different ways to do it with frogs. I've tried a few options and found for my setups with live plants the peat moss is good for the plants, you can put a layer of sphagnum moss over it to help keep the frogs clean. There isn't a huge requirement for any subsrate because they spend most of their time in the trees. Plain glass bottom, reptile carpet or even a layer of pebbles (large enough to not be ingested) all work well.

perhaps someone else here might have some better advice. Good luck and have fun with your new slimy friends!:D

Thanks for the reply Cidden.
I only got the frogs yesterday. So far i have them in a 3foot tank half gravel half peat moss with a 20x20cm water bowl with dechlorinated water. There is a mesh top over the tank. On the weekend im goin to the nursary to get some live plants for them and they are going to be upgraded to the 4foot tank im getting.
I will try sphagnum moss over the top of the peat moss to help keep them clean.

thank for the advice.

hey.. in all of my frog tanks i use coir peat, which comes in a brick. and then you add water and it expands in to a lot of it.. but with using that, its good to have a false bottom thing going on... so that the coir peat does not get soggy and the plants are not drowned.. or you can separate the water and land section with bits of glass, but then its good to have holes in the bottom so water can drain out.. if you would like some pics of my frogs tanks.. just PM me you email and i can send some
Cheers

One of my GTFs has a rubbed nose too...he loves shoving it in the glass and our current vivarium has a metal mesh top, which is likely the main cause. I plan to cover this with a softer fibreglass mesh, so hopefully less nose damage. That being said, he is very active and a voracious eater, so these 'personality traits' haven't affected him much!

We put a large bowl of water over a peatmoss substrate (to absorb excess water), and cover the rest of the tank floor with largish smooth river pebbles. The frogs seem quite content with that. As others have sid, they spend most of the time off the ground anyway.

i like to have massive water features in my frog tank next one will be a 3 ft high water fall that will run into a 1.5 ft wide x 6 ft long x 1 ft deep river (so basically 1/4 of the tank depth and from side to side) and rain system set up as an auto top off from the sump.

If you are going to use coco/coir peat then make usre its the fertiliser free stuff (personally I would only use herp brands for frogs).
Also you will find it sticks to their skin and will get all through their water etc, a good way to avoid this is by putting a layer of reptile bark over it.

Thanks Gex

thanks guys for all the advice and help. Geckoman, what size reptile bark is ok? I found some stuff that is little, about 10-12mm is size, would that be suitable?

thanks guys for all the advice and help. Geckoman, what size reptile bark is ok? I found some stuff that is little, about 10-12mm is size, would that be suitable?
I use it, and it has been recommended to me by a guy I will not mention.
I have found that they have eaten it a few times so I am looking into other alternatives as they dont digest it and have a hard time pooping it out.

Thanks Gex

That sore on the nose looks like it is on the mend and the frog looks happy and healthy.
I keep mine on newspaper as they spend most of their times higher in the tank.
I cover the newspaper with assorted furniture like logs rocks, a huge water dish and sheets of bark.
Ive never had a lot of luck with any other substrait so i just stick to what works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back