alligator south coast nsw

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GSXR_Boy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Published:
Source: msn
Video of it on here:
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/704980/camper-tells-of-crocodile-shock :D

A snake handler holidaying on the NSW far south coast has told of his battle with an alligator found tens of thousands of kilometres away from its natural habitat.
Hans Rusker was opening the gate to the Noonameena campsite at Pambula at around 5pm yesterday when the property's caretaker rushed out to tell him of the bizarre discovery — not realising at the time just how foreign the intruder was.
"I asked him if it might be a goanna but he said 'no, it's a crocodile'," Mr Rusker told ninemsn.
"When we went in there, it was pretty quiet: the caretaker was feeding it pilchards and it seemed pretty relaxed.
"But when we ran out of food, the croc apparently got bored and started walking into the bush."
The men realised they couldn't let the 1.5m-long reptile escape back into the wild, so they grabbed an old volleyball net and tried to trap it in that.
But the alligator broke through that "pretty easily", so they decided there was nothing else they could do but pounce on it, a la Steve Irwin.
"We all dived on it and held it down and I managed to tie up the snout and then we bound its feet," Mr Rusker said.
"Police and national parks arrived about 10 minutes later … it was a very long 10 minutes!"
The reptile was taken into care by WIRES as police investigated where it came from.
It was originally identified as a crocodile but Craig Adam of the Australian Reptile Park confirmed its true identity for Nine News after examining video footage.
This species of alligator is native to North America.
Anyone with information about the owner of the animal is urged to call Merimbula Police on (02) 6495 1366 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

*EDIT* Didn't realise newbot beat me to it. *shakes fist* :)

hehe, thats gotta suck. you hear so much more about people keping exotic reptiles recently :( what's wrong with our reptiles???

Some poor buggers pet has got out.

They wont be happy to see there pets been caught.

Exotics are only going to become more popular in Australia the government needs to look at changing there stance and allowing some exotics on an exotic licence.

If they dont people will continue to smuggle in whatever they want.

Hope it gets sent to a wildlife park or zoo to live out the rest of its days.

It would be futile to euthanise it.

news here had it recorded as a 1.5m salty ... trying to rehome it with Mogo zoo or Tooronga apparently. Be interested to find out the truth :|

I heard it escaped from the Reptile Park, caught the train down to the south coast. Felt like a sea change :)Pretty damn smart those alligators.

I think the local Wildlife park near Merimbula, Yellow Pinch has a salty and a freshy

But yeah I doubt they'd have the space to keep another one

I was at the Australian Reptile Park today while they were recording for this story. They have apparently taken her there, where they are going to assess her to be kept as part of their Alligator collection. They also suspect that she was a illegal pet and her owners dumped her when she got too big to be kept inside.

Yes,they found my little baby cuddles,how the hell did it get out.As a couple already suggested,someones pet,got to big so they let it go.

I was at the Australian Reptile Park today while they were recording for this story. They have apparently taken her there, where they are going to assess her to be kept as part of their Alligator collection. They also suspect that she was a illegal pet and her owners dumped her when she got too big to be kept inside.
:rolleyes: and this horserule is WHY I HOPE THEY DONT EVER CHANGE OUR LAWS........because what a nightmare our country would become if they allowed exotics ...more irresponsible reptile owners ...and animals that certainly do not belong here ...hence the fact of the ferel animals we all ready have here ,that have become out of control ,we certainly do not need to add any more ........the numbers that slip through illegally are bad enough ,little alone, to put it on a permit and have open season:evil:

:rolleyes: and this horserule is WHY I HOPE THEY DONT EVER CHANGE OUR LAWS........because what a nightmare our country would become if they allowed exotics ...more irresponsible reptile owners ...and animals that certainly do not belong here ...hence the fact of the ferel animals we all ready have here ,that have become out of control ,we certainly do not need to add any more ........the numbers that slip through illegally are bad enough ,little alone, to put it on a permit and have open season:evil:

Exactly, only need to look at the Burmese Pythons in California or wherever it is because of idiots that decide they are too big so they just dump them in the wild.

aww...poor lil guy! hope he goes into good care!

who ever said the mogo zoo thing, they wouldn't have room for one would they? well...they have room but eh.....

redbellybite: exactly....i think its better not having them on for 1 reason in particular, is because it makes them more special when you se them at the zoos and stuff and you only see them every so often!

Luke

The laws just encourage people to dump there illegal animals in the bush.

If they were legal this would not need to happen.

Our laws need to be changed, a large number of people want some kind of exotic pet.

Im not saying we should allow anything and everything but some things could be allowed.

I think the laws only harm the environment more as people smuggle in animals carrying disease and god knows what else. If it was legal is could be managed and monitored.

I can say there are some exotic wildlife i would like. I woudnt mind some land tortise's as we done have any in this county.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back