alligator south coast nsw

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there will always be law breakers horserule....but opening the floodgate would be a catastrophy ....how many times do we read on here MY SNAKE GOT OUT ?????????? OR SOME OTHER REP THAT CANT BE FOUND????? people get relaxed even when in hold of a permit .....wanna see an exotic go to a ZOO!

I also believe we should stay with only native species. Exotics will just end up being dumped like they do in USA. Then our natives will be in trouble.

Yep, thank goodness we have laws stopping people keeping exotics.

Mogo zoo already has one of these alligators and the enclosure is more then big enough for an extra one. Would have preferred it went there. Sally Padey and her team are doing a wonderful job with their various breeding programs they have going at Mogo zoo. For a private zoo it is absolutely first class.

There's certainly some validity to both points of view - However, what this issue highlights is that the keeping of wild life not just in this country, but globally, is very very poorly regulated. I would imagine that it would cost governments a lot more money to put the proper regulatory measures in place - Money that they would (unfortunately) probably prefer to spend on other things.. :?

The laws just encourage people to dump there illegal animals in the bush.

If they were legal this would not need to happen.

Our laws need to be changed, a large number of people want some kind of exotic pet.

Im not saying we should allow anything and everything but some things could be allowed.

I think the laws only harm the environment more as people smuggle in animals carrying disease and god knows what else. If it was legal is could be managed and monitored.

I can say there are some exotic wildlife i would like. I woudnt mind some land tortise's as we done have any in this county.

Even if exotics were legalised they would never legalise gators as most states won't even let people keep native crocs. So using this as an example of why exotics should be legalised is rubbish.

Some poor buggers pet has got out.

They wont be happy to see there pets been caught.

Exotics are only going to become more popular in Australia the government needs to look at changing there stance and allowing some exotics on an exotic licence.

If they don't people will continue to smuggle in whatever they want.

I don't think that this will happen. there is no need for exotic import.
It would be impossible to keep control anyway. How you can keep eye on bred off springs

Well, I for one am pleased it was caught... And if they haven't already figured that it will have had the opportunity to contaminate the environment so there is no point in killing the Gator, well too bad for the Gator.

However I do agree with Horsesrule to a certain extent... If the Government won't allow certain animals in on exotic permits then more people will chance it by smuggling them in... Smuggled animals do NOT have careful vet checks and the smugglers do NOT care about our environment.

I believe it is better for our environment to have CERTAIN SPECIES allowed (NOT a Gator!!) after Vet checks and strict quarrentine(?spelling?). Perhaps it could be a way the Government could make more money, by selling a certain amount of off-spring from a couple of Zoos every couple of years?

Flame away Guys!!

well then same could be said for exotic drugs and plants and herbs and the list could go on and on and on each and every person in our country could argue why they think SOME EXOTICS should be legal so to solve all disputes BANNNNNNNNNNN THE LOT much easier :)

well then same could be said for exotic drugs and plants and herbs and the list could go on and on and on each and every person in our country could argue why they think SOME EXOTICS should be legal so to solve all disputes BANNNNNNNNNNN THE LOT much easier :)

Lol... Redbellybite- they do!! I didn't think Dope (can't spell it's real name!!) was 'native' to Aust?? And what about Tulips? Or Oleader Trees? Boganvilla? Just to name a few... They are 'exotics'... But they are allowed. Unless your garden is 100% native plants, the chances are you too have EXOTICS!!!

I agree i think it needs to be done a case by case basis.

I think it needs to be closely looked at. A blanket ban as currently exists is doing more harm than good to the environment.

Snakes are always going to be banned until they come up with cures to diseases such as IBD however not all animals pose a risk i trully believe that.

I cant see Land Tortise's, taking over Australia.

I would love a monkey.

The reality is for those who are against all exotics is the governement is not going to be able to stop illegal imports. So there hear to stay the best way is to now manage the issue rather than try and outlaw it.

I do support you all though on some species but others i just think its insanity to not allow them.

Drugs are banned and whats that achieved ? Nothing?

Any drug any of us wants could be obtained easily.

Banning is not always the solution i believe in some cases this one in particular blanket bans do more harm that good.

Who knows what animals are being smuggled in and with what diseases? Why not legalise some ensure there disease free and make a exotic licence with strict conditions.

Much smarter idea.
Better for the environment.

Yes! With emphasis on the STRICT conditions - If this were to happen I could get me the colony of pygmy chameleons I've always wanted ;) :p

Drugs are banned and whats that achieved ? Nothing?

Any drug any of us wants could be obtained easily.

Banning is not always the solution i believe in some cases this one in particular blanket bans do more harm that good.

Who knows what animals are being smuggled in and with what diseases? Why not legalise some ensure there disease free and make a exotic licence with strict conditions.

Much smarter idea.
Better for the environment.

Some poor buggers pet has got out.

They wont be happy to see there pets been caught.

Exotics are only going to become more popular in Australia the government needs to look at changing there stance and allowing some exotics on an exotic licence.

If they dont people will continue to smuggle in whatever they want.

strongly agree.

hahahah i wonder how many aussie herp purists were left gasping with horror?!?! hhahaahaha

most of us AUSSIE herp collectors GET AND FULLY UNDERSTAND why the law is the law and totally GRATEFUL it is that way, but there will aways be people that like to push the boundries and have bizzare explanations of why they think......for those small minded, all for deleting, our exotic laws ,when it comes to our reptiles ...go do some investigating on what happens over seas when reptile laws are not a major issue ...maybe then, just then, you might appreciate the strongness that has been applied for our country ..if you still are not in favour ,maybe then you should look at up and relocating yourself then :)

remember the cane toad, the rabbits, foxes, goats, pigs, horses, camels etc etc. They were brought over and now look at them. Whay happens when people bring over exotic species for their own ammusement, get sick of them and dump them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back