Alternative gecko food

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benno

Reaction score
G'day guys I have a pair of levis levis currently on woodies and crickets.

Just wondering what else people feed them?

Is there anything they particularly go nuts for?

I'm trying to get some weight onto the female for breeding.

I've had mine take silkworms before :)

- - - Updated - - -

And not to mention a pinky on one occasion :D

thanks just tried to give her a pinkie but she wouldn't take it. Might have to get some silk worms tomorrow

Mealworms are higher in fat than crickets and roaches and are probably the third most common gecko food. When feeding, try to find the ones that recently moulted (look white in colour) as they are easier to digest because they have less hard exoskeleton at this time. But be careful because at least one of Australia's best reptile doctors warns to not feed more than 10% of the geckos diet as mealworms. Something about having too much fat I believe from memory.
You can feed a range of insects from the garden but some may have poison that you didn't know about (like lady beetles) and others have large mouthparts that could probably take toes off your levis in worst case scenario (thinking of a large locus mandibles). So for this reason plus the fact that your garden is open to disease which may be transferred to your reptiles via feed collecting is why I don't bother collecting bugs myself. My levis go 'nuts' for crickets.

hope this helps

Thanks for that Thyla. I wouldn't feed them stuff from the garden anyway. I'm struggling to get them to eat crickets or woodies and its frustrating me cause the female has lost a bit of weight. I'm hoping to find something really tasty to get them both eating regularly. They might have like 4 or so a week between them maybe. Thinking im doing something wrong but everywhere I've asked said my set up is fine. they're in a 2ft fish tank with damp sand at about 10cm deep at one end gradually sloping down to about 3cm at the end with the heat mat (under the tank). Heat hovers around 28-30 (measured using an IR gun).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back