Alternative To F10?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen it way cheaper on fleabay. Keep in mind it's highly concentrated, 200ml bottle will make up to 200 litres of solution, depending on intended use. So even fifty bucks for 200L of disinfectant is pretty good.

That does sound expensive. Shop around, as I can see it for $31, plus 12.50 for postage. PM me if you want details.

Depends on why the previous occupant of the enclosure is no longer using it. If it was my own enclosure and the previous animal in there was known to me as a clean, disease free animal I would simply clean it out however you normally clean your enclosures. If the enclosure was from an unknown previous occupant I would not use it for at least 6 months to be honest. In this situation I would scrub it out with bleach and leave it open to air before use.
While I'm not advocating that you don't use F10 as it really is a fantastic product I must admit I'm a bit old school as back in my day there was no such thing as F10.
I normally use a good quality household disinfectant for my enclosures as it's what I have always done and have never had any repercussions from using these.
I have often considered switching to F10 but as yet I'm still questioning the need to do so.

Depends on why the previous occupant of the enclosure is no longer using it. If it was my own enclosure and the previous animal in there was known to me as a clean, disease free animal I would simply clean it out however you normally clean your enclosures. If the enclosure was from an unknown previous occupant I would not use it for at least 6 months to be honest. In this situation I would scrub it out with bleach and leave it open to air before use.
While I'm not advocating that you don't use F10 as it really is a fantastic product I must admit I'm a bit old school as back in my day there was no such thing as F10.
I normally use a good quality household disinfectant for my enclosures as it's what I have always done and have never had any repercussions from using these.
I have often considered switching to F10 but as yet I'm still questioning the need to do so.

Gosh, you've got me thinking now....I haven't got a plan b on this and my snake flies in on Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably nothing......might just be my OCD lol
Depends upon the construction of the enclosure. If its melamine and the joints are sealed, glass or perspex just scrub it good, make sure you get in all the corners, nooks & cranny's so to speak.
If it's melamine unsealed or another timer unsealed I would be hesitant.

Diluted bleach is just fine to use as an alternative, 5% I believe is the standard.
The main reason I use F10 is because the tanks are upstairs on carpet, and if I spilled bleach on the carpet I would be hung, drawn and quartered.

I unfortunately paid a bit too much for my F10, around $50, but i've seen it as low as $35-$40. But as everyone else has said you can get it much cheaper, very much worth it. As Smittiferous said, it makes quite alot, but it depends on how much you are planning on use it to be worth it I guess, as it does expire.

Probably nothing......might just be my OCD lol
Depends upon the construction of the enclosure. If its melamine and the joints are sealed, glass or perspex just scrub it good, make sure you get in all the corners, nooks & cranny's so to speak.
If it's melamine unsealed or another timer unsealed I would be hesitant.

IMG_9301.JPGIMG_9300.JPG

Damn! Almost had me buying into your OCDness!

Its a huge wooden frame (sealed) with ply backing branches inside im removing. Following the cyclone backlash I have a beautiful big twisty/peachy branch to put in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diluted bleach is just fine to use as an alternative, 5% I believe is the standard.
The main reason I use F10 is because the tanks are upstairs on carpet, and if I spilled bleach on the carpet I would be hung, drawn and quartered.

I unfortunately paid a bit too much for my F10, around $50, but i've seen it as low as $35-$40. But as everyone else has said you can get it much cheaper, very much worth it. As Smittiferous said, it makes quite alot, but it depends on how much you are planning on use it to be worth it I guess, as it does expire.

Thankyou ;-)

@Aztec Given that you have a few days, consider also going over the interior with a couple of good coats of some pond sealant once you've scrubbed and disinfected. It's what @Stompsy and I have done with used enclosures before. It'll add an extra barrier and the black one from Bunnings makes enclosure interiors look really good, and contrasts colourful animals nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back