Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DISGRACEFUL
I have another word for it... But I was raised not to swear and also the last thing I need right now is an infraction.

What kind of demented creep keeps fully grown jungles in a box that'd be small for a hatchling?!? :shock:

The live feeding is just as bad, if not worse!!!

WOW...

For those who don't know, those are display racks. In the US, as well as many other countries, reptile shows actually sell herps. Breeders display their animals in display boxes, only for a few hours, while being sold at the show. THESE ARE NOT PERMANENT HOUSING ENCLOSURES. When I used to breed herps in the states I used to display my juvi geckos and snakes in deli cups, along with the hundreds/thousands of other breeders. That is not how I kept them, just how they were displayed and sold.

With regards to the King feeding on the boa, I see nothing wrong with that. That's an expensive prey item, but if there are surplus born I see no difference compared to feeding a mouse/rat. Though feeding live is often frowned upon due to the possibility of injury, in the US there is no law saying live cannot be fed. Some feed live, some feed f/t. That's just how it goes.

Some of the replies on this thread, from people who seem to be unable to comprehend alternative laws and regulations, and a different view about the hobby, are quite funny :lol:

It is possible to comprehend alternative laws or regulations and still find them abhorrent ;)

Perhaps not, but it does render your point about the humour being in their supposed lack of comprehension moot :D

WOW...

For those who don't know, those are display racks. In the US, as well as many other countries, reptile shows actually sell herps. Breeders display their animals in display boxes, only for a few hours, while being sold at the show. THESE ARE NOT PERMANENT HOUSING ENCLOSURES. When I used to breed herps in the states I used to display my juvi geckos and snakes in deli cups, along with the hundreds/thousands of other breeders. That is not how I kept them, just how they were displayed and sold.

With regards to the King feeding on the boa, I see nothing wrong with that. That's an expensive prey item, but if there are surplus born I see no difference compared to feeding a mouse/rat. Though feeding live is often frowned upon due to the possibility of injury, in the US there is no law saying live cannot be fed. Some feed live, some feed f/t. That's just how it goes.

I know i said earlier it is disgraceful, if it was for long periods of time, but hearing it from someone who has experienced it first hand, I'd have to say it's probably not as bad as it looks, if they are being displayed for short periods of time, then it's not so bad. As far as I know USA has different laws on feeding live prey and how do we know those pictures were of public feeding?
Who here hasn't had their snake disapear into it's hide box for a few days at a time? No different than being displayedlike this, as long as they aren't getting stressed, and I'm sure their owners are keeping a close eye on that.
Thanks for the insight.
Maybe this should be one of those things where people need to agree to disagree, we can't all think the same, what a boring world we would live in.

Last edited:
Not all breeders/vendors here are that way, We do have our share of idiots like the guy who had all of those snakes in such a small space, even for 8 to 10 hours during a show!(I can't see any reason for cramming an animal into that small of a container-even for a few minutes.) Most of the shows I have been to here the vendors have had larger space for these specimens, and most people going to the shows would disagree with how these reptiles are being displayed. I know that there are larger display boxes to accomedate those snakes. Hopefully, someone spoke up and told the guy he was an idiot! People like that really tick me off, and I certainly wouldn't buy any reptile from them as the "too small container" would be a red flag to me about the breeding and husbandry practices of that breeder-if he's dumb enough to treat these animals like that, then he's probably no better at caring for them.:evil: Trust me, had I been at that show, I would have had plenty to say to this jack-a$$!

Not all breeders/vendors here are that way, We do have our share of idiots like the guy who had all of those snakes in such a small space, even for 8 to 10 hours during a show!(I can't see any reason for cramming an animal into that small of a container-even for a few minutes.) Most of the shows I have been to here the vendors have had larger space for these specimens, and most people going to the shows would disagree with how these reptiles are being displayed. I know that there are larger display boxes to accomedate those snakes. Hopefully, someone spoke up and told the guy he was an idiot! People like that really tick me off, and I certainly wouldn't buy any reptile from them as the "too small container" would be a red flag to me about the breeding and husbandry practices of that breeder-if he's dumb enough to treat these animals like that, then he's probably no better at caring for them.:evil: Trust me, had I been at that show, I would have had plenty to say to this jack-a$$!

Yeah they obviously can't breed anything if they are displaying their hatchies in little containers... :rolleyes:

So what expo will be the first to adopt this future of our hobby sales gimmick ?
maybe Carpetpythons.com.au will open up with a slick stand and feed off
an adult albino "carpet" to mark the start of the apparently impending price
crash ... toot toot :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So what expo will be the first to adopt this future of our hobby sales gimmick ?
maybe Carpetpythons.com.au will open up with a slick stand and feed off
an adult albino "carpet" to mark the start of the apparently impending price
crash ... toot toot :)

*Puts train driver cap on*

WOOOooooWOOOOO!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's disgusting, the jungles cant even move! And as for the Cobra, not as bad but not something I would have at a reptile expo, as natural as it may be.

WOW...

In size relation you would have to pack your juvi geckos in something the size of a tic tac

Unfortunately we are not allowed to keep anything that justifies feeding it an albino. I can't think of one Aussie ven that would match a King!

Disgusting! Why are they selling Carpet Pythons? They're so boring! Couldn't they get something I like a lot more?

Those snakes are probably not stressed about being in boxes that small, in fact, they probably prefer being secure in a small box if they are in an unfamiliar place for a short time, but either way they'll be stressed about being in a transparent cage with no cover in very bright light, which is the way every seller displays their reptiles at expos, here and there.

Like everyone said, live feeding is over the top, but albino, striped, hypo or dull and cheap, it really makes no difference. If rat fanciers said "Oh my god, you're feeding an albino rat to your snake! That's disgusting, I love albinos more than black, brown, grey or ginger ones!" we would all laugh at them.

I've seen much worse in the USA, and I've seen far worse in Australia too. I don't think we should start bashing the Americans because they have a few bad apples, any more than we should bash ourselves because some of the citizens of our own country are bad. Imagine if an American forum went crazy saying that all of us were terrible because of a news report saying someone had smuggled some Chondros in, or tried to smuggle some reptiles out. It wouldn't be fair, and we shouldn't be doing it either.

To our American members, I hope you haven't been too offended, and don't assume we all hate you ;)

To our American members, I hope you haven't been too offended, and don't assume we all hate you ;)

Not all of you, just most of you :lol:

I don't see anything wrong with feeding a snake eater a snake, but doing it in public was uncalled for. We all have our idiots in every country. As far as the carpet pythons in small display cases go, I agree they were too small, but having them in there for a six hour show really isn't going to hurt them.

What American members? They all get chased away by some of the narrow minded lynch mob members on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back