Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually pretty much made this point. I said not all Australians agree, which covers the Australians who support live feeding, and I said not all Americans agree, which covers the Americans who don't. I didn't say that it was okay because it's legal at all, in any of my arguments. My point was not anti-American and I did not put forward an opinion on feeding snakes live prey. I made the point that overall the two cultures are different and hold different beliefs on what is acceptable and what is not, which is clearly what is causing this dispute. Hence, the arguments in this thread can be put down to an overall cultural difference.

I'm afraid we haven't made the same point at all, I'm attempting to make the point this is a very individual matter and that the decisions are not made because of laws or perceived cultural norms. The second paragraph, referring to anti-americanism wasn't aimed at you at all.

Perhaps I'm not communicating my point very clearly then, we're not making conflicting points at all. I am in no way arguing that a person's decisions and preferences are made because of the laws or cultural norms in their area. I don't believe that at all. I know that each person will keep their snakes in the way they feel is best, regardless of what anyone around them does. However, the cultural norms DO have an influence over a person's decisions. We all learn how to keep our snakes from somewhere, we all get our information from somewhere. If the overwhelming majority of the information available here in Australia indicates that live prey is bad, and if the laws reflect that, obviously there are going to be less people here who use live prey than in America, where live prey is seen as normal. Would you not agree?

If the overwhelming majority of the information available here in Australia indicates that live prey is bad, and if the laws reflect that, obviously there are going to be less people here who use live prey than in America, where live prey is seen as normal. Would you not agree?
If it were the case that the overwhelming majority of information in Australia indicates that live feeding is bad then I would agree. However, about the only place you ever hear about live feeding being an issue are on herp sites such as this one....and even then it's amazing how many people have no idea it's illegal.

Well I can't comment on that any further, because the overwhelming majority of information I've encountered personally, online and otherwise, indicates that live prey is bad, but I certainly haven't read all the information available in this country on herp husbandry. If you've encountered more sources that say live prey is absolutely fine, I can see where our views don't meet.

Well I can't comment on that any further, because the overwhelming majority of information I've encountered personally, online and otherwise, indicates that live prey is bad, but I certainly haven't read all the information available in this country on herp husbandry. If you've encountered more sources that say live prey is absolutely fine, I can see where our views don't meet.
Sorry, now I'm not expressing myself properly....which is why you should never type and talk on the phone at the same time. It seems to be more that people don't know. Not that they're reading that live feeding is okay.

Oh I see! I understand now, and I agree. I suppose a lot of sources give a list of things the snake would eat in the wild, or else they give a list of things to feed the snake, but they don't specify whether the prey should be frozen or live. To me, having belonged to communities like this since I first took an interest in snakes, the "frozen" bit seems obvious, but I suppose if you haven't had the exposure to sites like this then that information needs to be stated.

LOL @ people being outraged over the display enclosures... Because snakes never curl up in tight places for any period of time, ever. :rolleyes:

Sorry if it's already been pointed out. I tend to skim through all the APSBS

Well I am guilty of being an American... I am a Yankee on top of it... Straight from the streets of New York City... LOL
Just to clear some things up..

Dare i say "generally" from an Australian perspective it doesn't matter if you live in Texas or Chicago
we just call all North Americans "Yanks"..( or "Seppos" ).. even when we know better.

Live feeding is not illegal here... I have fed some of my vipers live rodents... Whats the big deal??? Its over pretty fast... Plus you get to see how your reptile would actually hunt its meal... Is it entertaining??? Yes it is... I am sure most of us have watched a nature show where a croc drags a zebra into the water by its head... Why did you not shut off the tvor change the channel??? Because you were entertained... Please, do not make it out to be a bad thing that people are actually entertained by nature no matter how cruel it can be...

We can both probably agree , it didn't need to be an expensive morph.. i think that makes it a lame gimmick
more than an exhibition of nature... just chasing some wan k-factor.
I definately find predation entertaining, one of the best ive seen recently was a medium sized retic going
at top speed through the canopy literally chasing down monkeys.

Anyway, this has been an interesting read... I actually like this place... My skin is thick so I doubt I will be running off when someone else posts so silly thread about how bad Americans are... LOL

How could you like this place??? its full of ignorant Australian convicts or something.. haha
Ive found it an interesting read as well, some people are so desperate to defend Americans
from criticism.. they must get good price on kneepads at rebel sports store.

Yanks?

I was watching youtube a couple days ago and seen this vid. It Is amazing what is in the eggs but look how he handles them:evil: . And those guys at the snake show don't have respect for there animals! The vid is called "Check this out 18 snakes in 8 eggs"

Dabool you neglected to mention that the albino in the first photo was a non-feeder with a serious genetic fault. Want to fill in the rest of the story?

for the people who are so distraught at the tiny boxes, i'd hate to pay your freight bill when you send something interstate. what do you need for a hatchy stimmy, a cubic metre box, just so it's not cramped.

as already said, they go into smaller hide boxes, and are quite ok bagged up, so where is all this cruelty suppositions coming from?

too precious.

i thought dabool was only about 12, or is he/she older? must be older, just bought a house in the US.

Dabool you neglected to mention that the albino in the first photo was a non-feeder with a serious genetic fault. Want to fill in the rest of the story?

Please go on............

Ive found it an interesting read as well, some people are so desperate to defend Americans
from criticism.. they must get good price on kneepads at rebel sports store.

LOL... I think its more about being politically correct or something... Or maybe its just the fact that Americans ROCK!!! Well atleast I do.... :lol:

Well I am far from P.C. and I do not take offence to lame digs at Americans... I can care less...

And the plot thickens...

Please go on............

Perhaps Tsubakai is making the point that those who have a problem with the feeding are judging without all the facts to hand. I'm not entirely sure that will matter for those whose objection is to the idea that the snake being eaten is alive.

Yes, but a hide box gives the snake security. A clear plastic box, that exposes the snake from all angles, does not.

Yes i realise that but the reality is that when they're at an expo being displayed to the crowd, they're not going to be ablet to hide no matter what size their enclosure is. The people were clearly opposed to the cramped quarters and not the fact that the box is see through.... I see no problem with the size of the boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back