American admits smuggling Aussie lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Published On: 28-Jul-10 07:59 AM
Source: From correspondents in Los Angeles via NEWS.com.au

A REPTILE salesman has admitted in a Californian court he smuggled 15 live Australian lizards into the US by strapping them to his chest.

Go to Original Article

Published On: 28-Jul-10 08:22 AM
Source: By Peter Mitchell in Los Angeles via NEWS.com.au

A REPTILE salesman has admitted in a court he smuggled 15 live Australian lizards into the US by strapping them to his chest.

Go to Original Article

I'm glad they got him, makes you wonder how many Aussie reptiles are smuggled out each year.

Doesn't seem worth it to me.

I'm glad they got him, makes you wonder how many Aussie reptiles are smuggled out each year.

Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Don't take this the wrong way anouc - but in a previous thread you recall suggesting that killing snakes for food would increase the removal of these animals from the wild... Where I suggested that the pet market sale would be worse....

Now I have two theories - one confirming and one contradicting...

1 - The pet market is worth a lot of money - and as such smuggling, removal from the wild etc is rife - if we didn't want to buy them, then there wouldn't be a market....

2 - Because the food market is harder to 'catch' - ie the evidence is eaten, it is plausible to suggest that there's less chance of getting caught for removing a wild snake/lizard etc and eating it... So maybe the market is just as high (locally) just not as easy to catch...

However, I still believe pet markets are worth more than the food market - because you don't see people eating a $130 coastal carpet.... Or a $4000 GTP.

Well, if you recall I agreed that the pet market does undoubtably put pressure on wild populations, I'm not trying to dispute that at all; however I think the demand for ILLEGAL trade in reptiles will exist regardless of whether there is a legal pet trade or not. The Australian licensing system does mitigate this to some degree but I think the bans on exporting Aussie reptiles is very important.

The context of my comments in the previous thread was very different to what we are talking about here. I don't really want to get into this too much as I come onto this site to learn about reptiles and provide advice if I can, I don't come here to get into arguments with people.

Last edited:
However, I still believe pet markets are worth more than the food market - because you don't see people eating a $130 coastal carpet.... Or a $4000 GTP.

Only in wealthy countries, slim6y. Being able to afford to purchase, keep and care for any pet is a luxury that you won't often see in developing countries. In fact, in a lot of the poorer countries, any animal that is not human is simply seen as a source of protein.
Having said that, some of the more 'switched on' locals are now discovering that there is money to be made from the live animal trade...
The thing that REALLY bugs me about this article is that the animals were wild caught! Harsh penalties 'though... quarter mil fine and 20 yrs... whoosh...
Nic

Those penalties are the maximums, reserved for extreme cases (eg a container full of reptiles). He will probably just be isued with a fine.

Those penalties are the maximums, reserved for extreme cases (eg a container full of reptiles). He will probably just be isued with a fine.
True; it'll be interesting to see what they hit him with. Glad they caught the #$^%!

he will get a fine way less than the money he will make selling the said 15 lizards and like most of them will be back here to smuggle more,its pretty obvious smuggling is widespread ,look at the new aussie species that keep popping up over there,they even have albino carpets from blondies line

What's the answer then? Would having a controlled o/s export trade lessen the amount of illegal trafficking? If they're going to end up o/s anyway, wouldn't putting some sort of legal mechanism in place help? Surely most people would go the legal option, given the choice? It'd certainly reduce the suffering that the animals would have to endure during their journey (ie cage versus money bag strapped around body).

Some people in our country have no morals, and should hang there head in shame
selling animals to be taken over seas you grubs
Said they were wild caught in the article...he might've just said that though to protect his source.

Sorry annouc - I actually never saw your reply in the previous thread - :)

The picture i saw he had Nephrurus Wheeleri Wheeleri. My understanding is there is not many in captivity in Aus so i wouldn't be surprised if they were wild caught.

Smuggling of native Australian species is rife and always will be while there is a strong demand for our animals overseas. This is not something that receives a lot of attention from law enforcement authorities and the agencies that do give it some priority are not equipt with the coercive powers necessary to carry out sophistocated operations. Trust me.

Also the associated risks are low when compared with other illegal commodities such as drugs and weapons so it is seen by some as a relativley safe way to make some extra cash.

I think the export bans need to stay though, otherwise there will be even more pressure on wild populations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back