American admits smuggling Aussie lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anouc, Michael addressed border patrol and smuggling animals in. You replied to him, bringing up the lack of good border control and the comparison to drugs. I addressed how comparing the trade to drugs to reptiles wouldn't yield answers on how to control the latter of the two, because they are apples and oranges, and gave a reason why. I don't see how I have "missed the point", or that my post wasn't valid or relevant to the discussion, as a whole.

Governments benefit financially from the presence of drugs in their country, from prescription to cannabis to crack. It's a complex issue that I've studied and worked in for a long time. I won't been explaining the ins-and-outs of it on a reptile forum, but I doubt you really wanted to know the details, anyway.

The American courts are much more heavy handed on these matters than Australian courts, I wouldn't be surprised if he serves some time. If in an attempt he mentions aussie keepers helped him, it wouldn't mean much unless he taped all conversations with said keepers, there is the matter of proof needed. I'd imagined the smuggling business has had to hurdle a few blocks since 9/11 and the resulted tightening of security measures. But looking at the types and amount of new arrivals that could have only come in since these measures were introduced, it is really easy to see they have adapted and continued to grow. The far majority of detections come from tip offs then purely by accident and then the obvious ones ie. noticeable characteristics.

Your wrong about that because you can use identical methods to import/export drugs, reptiles or anything else for that matter. That is the point you missed. It has nothing to do with the market for a particular commodity.

Last edited by a moderator:
11 depressa @ 1800ea, 2 x varanus pilb. @ 800ea, 2 x Nww @ 5k ea, more like 30k than the 8500 quoted. why is it only australian authorities that quote tenfold prices?

a few members are happy he ditched his cell and didn't fess up his arrangements with aussie herpers. who showed him good spots for red depressa and V.pilbs? whose place did he visit 2 days before leaving who inadvertantly made the call to a tennesee herper who snitched him in? (hint : the same qld person he dropped off a cache of nww as part of an arrangement )

still, it's an anxious wait for sentencing, he may still roll for a soft result.

three blind mice, three blind mice
see how they squeal, see how they squeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back