American snakes in Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Black market trading out of Australia is a problem, i can think of 3 shipments being found in the last month or so.
Any native animal coming out of Aus (with the exception of zoo trades) is black market trading, doesn't matter where it ends up.
Thats what really gets to me, people taking as much out of the wild as they want and trying to send into an alreay flooded market. They should lock people like that up and throw away the key.

personally, I wouldnt be heart-broken if exotics are never allowed over here, aussie herps are just as good and diverse

Ok guys. Apparently black market reptile smuggling is a rampant problem. I guess it never gets reported here, but obviously would be more of a local story. So, my question is this. What reptile species specifically are commonly smuggled, and where is they trying to be smuggled to?

Number of points.
1/ There is a double standard in that exotic birds may be kept , bred and sold (and I think there is very restrictive importing) while exotic reptiles may only be kept. I think there is less restrictions on exotic birds than natives. This is dispite the fact that a number of species kept have established feral populations, including mannikins, java sparrows and Monk Parrots (Quakkers). In fact Quakkers are one of the most invasive species having large feral populations in both Europe and America. Quakkers even have a large population in Amsterdam.
2/ There is also a double standard on feral populations too, we tolerate the sparrow without a complaint dispite the fact that has done as much damage as the cane toad. What birds would be hanging around our homes if we haddn't introduced the sparrow?
3/ We can't export the cane toad, the same bozos who introduced it to Queensland also introduced it to Hawaii and Florida with the same results. I have seen them on special at American herps sites 2 for $5 and get one free. The Americans call the cane toad the Marine toad.
4/ Smuggling will be attempted where ever the is an price difference that makes the effort worth while. That is why Galahs are popular, $50 here and upto $1000 overseas (Galahs are called rose-breasted cockatoos in America).
5/ My impression is that Knob-tailed Geckos seem to be popular target for smuggling. I'm judging that by the news reports I have seen

Mark,
Good points and I don't think those Galah's in Canberra will ever do anything about it either!

Neil

Those galahs in canberra should be exported...to iraq! and not at the taxpayers expense either! lol

Shinglebacks seem to be targeted alot, so as most pythons and geckos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back