An aggressive and maybe overfed Stimson Python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmudgeDaz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all, So I have a stimson Python about 3yrs in age. She's recently just started eating again after the long winter break here in WA. (just to note here if anyone is wondering, my snake is unsex but we call it a her even though we are unsure of her actual gender), anyways she last measured 110cm in October 2014 and I haven't weighted her for a while (been meaning to do that) but if it helps she was 268 grams in April 2014.

So I did my first feed in mid-October and she was really *****, striking at me etc. She's usually really placid but I expect this from her when she comes out of winter. However, what is unusual is that is been over a month and every time I try to take her out, she's very aggressive which is not like her at all.

I also decided to start feeding her bigger meals starting now as I thought maybe she was hungry?
So I've started feeding her 2 adult mice every 10 days. She doesn't hesitate to devour them! But I'm concerned that maybe it is too much for her? I've been doing some reading and it's got me thinking maybe I should lengthen the times between feeding or maybe only give her one adult mice every 7 days? (notes before this change she was happily eating 3 hopper mice every 7 days and was at perfect weight for her length (according to a vet). But then some say the amount I'm feeding her is perfect....

Sorry about the long post but any help/ suggestions would be much appreciated (for both the aggression and the feeding)

Switch to a small rat every two weeks.
Also if she was being overfed, she simply wouldn't eat...

If she was a good handler before winter, I'd guess she is simply just hungry. Offer her a couple (maybe even 3) adult mice every 4 days for a month or so, to boost her up a little bit from her break over winter. Then go back to your normal feeding regime once you have filled her up a few times :)

my girl has just gone 4yrs and has gone up to 60grm rats and fed about every 2 weeks, normally very second feed i will give her 2 as her apetite has increased but not to over feed her as when coming to shed can be a 3 week period between meals and she is quite robust (vets words :) ) even though she can be off food through winter she holds her weight very well and i think last weigh was just over 800grms and 1.2mts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back