An Australian gave CPR to a frog eaten by a snake and when it came back to life he named it 'Lucky'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaviemys purvisi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
SIMON THOMSEN
JUN 22, 2018.

frog.png
Jamie Chapel, Snake Take Away/Facebook
Lucky, now well on the road to recovery

Australia is a land where stories are oft told about the things that will kill you.

But this is a story about the things that can save you from death, especially when you’re a green tree frog, eaten by a snake, then regurgitated when a human comes to deal with your nemesis.

Jamie Chapel from Snake Take Away in Townsville, far north Queensland, got a call from an elderly lady earlier this month keen to see the common tree snake squatting among her pot plants move on.

snake.png
The guilty party, with full belly.

As he explains on his work Facebook page “when I arrived it had a lump in its body and upon seeing it I thought it has eaten a frog”.

The snake, obviously a bit freaked out by bloke who’d come for him, threw up and out popped the green tree frog, in a reptilian reproduction of Jonah and the Whale.

(On a side note, common tree snakes are non-venomous, but when threatened they release a pungent smell from their cloaca as a defence).

According to Chapel, the frog was limp, and lifeless, not to mention covered in mucous.

But when he went to dispose of the body he noticed a very tiny movement in its leg.

“I thought it may be nerves, but I decided to clean it up and start CPR or chest compressions to see if I could revive it,” he recounts.

After a minute or so, the frog started to breathe again and regained consciousness. So Chapel cleaned up the wounds and took it home to recover.

And he gave it a name.

Lucky.

frog1.png
Lucky’s war wounds after being revived by Jamie Chapel.

Speaking to ABC radio today, more than a fortnight after Lucky’s Lazarus-like moment, Chapel said the amphibian needed pain medication and antibiotics to pull through, and is now feasting on cockroaches and crickets.

It even got a treat the other night – a small mouse leftover after he’d fed some baby pythons.

Chapel is planning to set Lucky free once he’s 100%.

And apparently it’s not his first animal heart-starter – three months ago he performed CPR on the blue-tongue lizard, alas without success.

And if you like looking at photos of snakes in places most humans would prefer not to find them (a tip: check the BBQ before you turn it on), the check out Chapel’s Snake Take Away Facebook page here.
[doublepost=1532207799,1529698479][/doublepost]Untitled.png
‘Lucky’ hops back into the wild after recovering from less than ‘ribbeting’ experience
OLIVIA GRACE-CURRAN, Townsville Bulletin
July 13, 2018

A GREEN tree frog that was revived after being swallowed and then regurgitated by a snake has hopped back into the wild to continue his life.

“Lucky” may be a small creature but his “ribbeting” tale of survival captivated the world.

Jamie Chapel, from Townsville Snake Take Away and Chapel Pest Control, performed CPR on the 5cm-long frog after he had been eaten and then spat out by a common tree snake on June 6.

Townsville man gives CPR to a frog spat out by a snake, saves its life

After bringing a lifeless and limp frog back to life, Jamie and Lucky’s story went viral and was reported across Australia, Europe, America and the UK.

“I think it’s just something that you don’t often hear about,” Mr Chapel said.

“Someone having a go at reviving such a small frog.”

The pair even featured in a live TV segment on the Today Show.

“I couldn’t believe how far it went,” Mr Chapel said.

He believed people were intrigued by the story because of its quirkiness.

“If that poor little frog had an idea of how far he went he’d be shocked,” he said.

Mr Chapel did not think Lucky would survive after being brought back to life.

“I gave him 24 to 48 hours — if he survived after that he had a good chance,” he said.

Lucky was placed on pain medication and the deep wounds on his back were treated with antibiotic cream.

“Frogs are not the easiest to rehabilitate,” Mr Chapel said.

The amphibian has spent the last five weeks recovering from the experience in Mr Chapel’s home.

He was fed on wood cockroaches and crickets inside a rehab tank situated in the lounge room.

“This time of year it can be a bit of a struggle for (frogs), there’s not as many bugs to eat, so I’ve been fattening him up for release,” he said.

Lucky was released back into the Mysterton area yesterday.

“It’s sad to see him go, he’s been such a great little frog and he’s brought me such publicity but he’s healed now and he’s well enough to be released,” Mr Chapel said.

His six-year-old daughter, Ivy, said she enjoyed having Lucky stay with her family.

“He was a very good frog — I’ve always liked him,” she said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back