anacondas in australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaneo

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has ever heard of anyone being caught with a green anaconda in australia, ive heard of people being caught with other large pythons, burmese, retics etc but never a green anaconda and i was just wondering if there are any hear?

just wondering if anyone has ever heard of anyone being caught with a green anaconda in australia, ive heard of people being caught with other large pythons, burmese, retics etc but never a green anaconda and i was just wondering if there are any hear?

Mate to be honest it would not surprise me...

best one I ever saw was the huge one at taronga that was off display when the AHS had their behind the scenes tour back in the early 1990's
that was a BIG anaconda especially when we were in its enclosure very close to its mouth.. must have been 20 plus feet long I think..
but hard to tell as it was coiled in a packing crate that was sitting on top of a spa bath tub.
lucky it didn't grab one of us and I dont think we were supposed to be in there :D

How would you manage to smuggle a green anaconda into Australia is what i'd like to know:shock::shock::shock:

Some lawbreaking nincumpoop has probably found a way, so I would say there are some living illegaly here.:(

green anaconda!? apart from zoos who would have a big enough place to keep them?! i saw a vid of a 30ft one wich is apparantly as big as it gets!

How would you manage to smuggle a green anaconda into Australia is what i'd like to know:shock::shock::shock:

Some lawbreaking nincumpoop has probably found a way, so I would say there are some living illegaly here.:(

probably when they are small hatchies I'd imagine.
I dont think anyone would try and smuggle a 20 footer wrapped around their waist through customs :lol:

whats so strange about it ? ther just a big boa ,they are common in aus , same with burms and retics.

iv seen anacondas up close before and they wer quite docile! they can make good pets
out side of aus of course ,don't worry im not keeping any anacondas,
waste of cage space :lol:

No not sure but I know Boa's are here lol. A bloke saw me buying mice at the local last week and offered me a Boa hatchie. Nice little snake but DO NOT agree with exotics in Aus so tried my best in being polite whilst objecting.

You should have taken the guys number and told the police that offered you a boa. I would have faked interest and got his details and dobbed him in. Best thing for it.

if there are burms and retics here then why wouldnt there be green anacondas?. theres no major size difference between them, burms and retics, there all pretty similar size and captive are pretty docile on the most part. and would be no harder to smuggle into aus then a burm or a retic id imagine as there all pretty similar size as babys. id be willing to bet my bottom dollar that there loads of them here and i know theres definatly alot of burms and retics.

dobbing one person in wont do anything. their are so many exorics here its a joke. and atm is just getting worse with more and more coming in. and know i dont have any exotics

I'm not entirely sure there's such a huge trade with importing animals anymore. Other than specific morphs and lines or hard to get species such as GTP's, most exotics already have a healthy breeding population within our domestic borders.
To the best of my knowledge anaconda's give live birth right? So it wouldn't be overly hard to smuggle in a new born anaconda or 12.

I'm not entirely sure there's such a huge trade with importing animals anymore. Other than specific morphs and lines or hard to get species such as GTP's, QUOTE]

There is a huge import trade, GTPs are easy to get these days. With the exception of Corn snakes that are being bred in their hundreds of thousands yearly, most other herps fetch reasonable to extremely high prices on the black market, and whether they are being bred here or not, high prices usually means someone see's it as a good idea to make some money by importing them into the country. The busts that you see in the media, seem only to be a small portion of whats coming into the country.

dobbing one person in wont do anything. their are so many exorics here its a joke. and atm is just getting worse with more and more coming in. and know i dont have any exotics

So according to your reasoning if you witnessed a murder you wouldn't report it because there are so many more murders happening it wouldn't make any difference if one person is caught.

To the best of my knowledge anaconda's give live birth right? So it wouldn't be overly hard to smuggle in a new born anaconda or 12.[/QUOTE]

correct.

Back to the question, yes they are here. Aust reptile park has a few behind the scenes and are grooming them for their snake shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back