anacondas in australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you manage to smuggle a green anaconda into Australia is what i'd like to know:shock::shock::shock:

I saw a thing on border security the other night. Only 1 in 50 contains are scanned and thats when they have been alerted of something dogee'....

Am I the only one who thinks these 'I wonder if .... is in the country' threads really mean 'if you have... PM me'?

haha 4 sure mate.
but keep it a secret seems to work.

Anaconda's are number 1 on my list of exotics I'd love to own. Like others have said, there will be plenty of underground anaconda's around as well as the zoo specimens. Its possible to get pretty much whatever you want if you have enough money and know the appropriate people.

i live in the uk i am moving to nsw in a couple of years i keep large snakes and green conda are one type i keep they are amazing to keep dont think for one moment there man eaters nasty and try and kill at every given minute i wish i could bring mine with me trust me when i say i have tryed and it always come down to a zoo if you aint got one tuff luck
but how do people keep them over there if there such a big no no, big females dont really get much bigger them 15-16ft any more there are a few but thats it,

Yeah I agree with the majority.

They are here, just like all the other large boas and exotic pythons.

It would be fairly naive to think otherwise.

I reckon the yellow anacondas whilst smaller are the better lookers anyway.

Am I the only one who thinks these 'I wonder if .... is in the country' threads really mean 'if you have... PM me'?

Nah I don't think you're the only1....
I sometimes wonder if anyone has any chameleons.....lol

I was offered a breeding pair of orange corn snakes and a single milk snake about 10 years ago when i worked in a pet shop he told me that he had been breeding the corns for 12 years and was just over them and would be happy just to give them away. I told him to hand them in to a zoo for there collection as they were the only people i could think of that might take them. so that's over 20 years people that these things have been keept and breed in this country. If some one was willing to pay for an anaconda there would be someone willing to get in, thats my say.

best one I ever saw was the huge one at taronga that was off display when the AHS had their behind the scenes tour back in the early 1990's
that was a BIG anaconda especially when we were in its enclosure very close to its mouth.. must have been 20 plus feet long I think..
but hard to tell as it was coiled in a packing crate that was sitting on top of a spa bath tub.
lucky it didn't grab one of us and I dont think we were supposed to be in there :D

I'll be doing a practical day there on Saturday and I've heard they do have an anaconda off display so I wonder if its the same one, should of put some size on in 10 + years!

I heard the big one I was talking about died quite some time ago unfortunately. the ones they have now are more recent aquisitions after the other anaconda died.

from a (semi) reliable source :lol: a mate that was a taronga keeper at the time.. the anaconda I was refering to was probably more like 17 feet I think he said.. but it was coiled up at the time we were in its off display enclosure so hard to tell with any accuracy.. but it was a large very impressive specimen thats for sure..

i wonder if the people smuggling big boas,corn snakes and anacondas realise what it could potentially do to our ecosystem. can you imagine if boas and anacondas were as common as pythons in the wild? i dunno i just figure, treasure and nourish what beautiful creatures we do have in aus and keep boas for the zoos, or for motivation to go oversees and see them in their natural habitat.

they are here for sure, I had a mate who worked for customs around 10 years ago. He said if you can think of it. its been tried
look at time and money spent on drug enforcement cocaine an heroin not that hard get a hold of. (ps never have never will ). a burm or anaconda if you tried hard enuff would have one within a month

I was offered an Anaconda from a guy who knew a guy who got an adult from a zoo a few years ago. Apparently the animal was said to of died at the zoo (but was really sold on the black market). BTW this was approx 6 years ago now.

Not saying it was Toronga zoo or that it was the same animal. I am just stating that they are here illegally.

as far as Im aware the large anaconda I was refering to died many years ago.. when I saw it at the AHS behind the scenes taronga tour it was 1991 maybe? and I heard it died a few years later (probably of old age) so theres probably something like at least a 10 year time difference between what your saying, so would guess its definitely not the same animal.

i wonder if the people smuggling big boas,corn snakes and anacondas realise what it could potentially do to our ecosystem. can you imagine if boas and anacondas were as common as pythons in the wild? .

I dont think they care Tayla. Their sole motivation is proffit. They couldnt give a brass razoo what ecological damage they are causing, and for the most part, nor would the buyers.

All the smugglers care about is the $$$$, and the keepers just want that cool snake. Cuz its even cooler cuz ite illegal :rolleyes:

As far as I know if any animal dies at Taronga it has to have a necropsy. Though I can't see any zoo being able to get away with something like that, but never say never lol

re anacondas

havent heard of anacondas but i havent made equiries either,generally just old garden species about like boas (not you ash )and corns,seems to be whats popular :)

Are anacondas commonly kept in other countries? You often here about burms and retics, but not much about anacondas or African Rock Pythons either. Is there a reason for this or are they more common than i think?

Green anacondas are very common in the UK
Im on a UK reptile forum and they reckon a 6x3 foot is fine for a adult female Green Anaconda :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back