anacondas in australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
probably when they are small hatchies I'd imagine.
I dont think anyone would try and smuggle a 20 footer wrapped around their waist through customs :lol:

Is that an anaconda in your pantso or are you just REALLY happy to see me?

The ARP had a juvie green anaconda in their show a few months ago, I presume these are the ones someone referred to earlier that they are breeding.

Nah I don't think you're the only1....
I sometimes wonder if anyone has any chameleons.....lol

Sigh I had some one pm me asking if I could get them a chameleon. Sent them a rather chunky pm back about how exotics are illegal and the huge risk that exotics pose to our native species.

When I lived in canada a girl at the pet shop I frequented had a small anaconda. She also had a caiman!

Andrew

What we need is an exotic that loves to eat cane toads!..Australia would import them in a flash.only "some" snakes and owls eat em.i saw a sad documentary the other day,bloke used to go to this place in NT for snake study's 20 years ago..he went back last year..no snakes to be found but a **** load of toads 8(

Many species prey on the cane toad in its native habitat. These include the Broad-snouted Caiman (Caiman latirostris), the Banded Cat-eyed Snake (Leptodeira annulata), the eel (family: Anguillidae), various species of killifish,[40] the Rock flagtail (Kuhlia rupestris), some species of catfish (order: Siluriformes) and some species of ibis (subfamily: Threskiornithinae).[40] Predators outside the cane toad's native range include the Whistling Kite (Haliastur sphenurus), the Rakali (Hydromys chrysogaster), the Black Rat (Rattus rattus) and the Water Monitor (Varanus salvator). There have been occasional reports of the Tawny Frogmouth (Podargus strigoides) and the Papuan Frogmouth (Podargus papuensis)[41] feeding on cane toads

wiki ftw!

If i was gonna get an exotic i would deffinetely get a african rock over a conda. There was someone i knew a while back that had all sorts of exotics from red tails through to some vens. Which to me is insane as there would not be antivenom for a rattler or cobra here. Every species is there if you want them and finding the people who sell them is really easy if you can be bothered dealing with idiots.

My post is a presumption I'm sorry if you read it as fact, hence the never say never at the end of my sentence. I've only heard bits and pieces about the chondro stuff and never looked into it, first I've heard someone say that they were sold by Taronga and infact had not died. But then again I don't read everything on the forums...

And they dont have their own vets on hand or on the payroll?

Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet, are you being sarcastic or is that a real question Lol

Hehe, this is a funny story about a Boa in the walls. A big read, but I think it's worth to read it just for the fun of it ^^

Though, I dont agree with letting that thing in the ceiling though..!

Billy the Boa ? Bali living Blog

I heard some babys for sale about a month ago for $1000..

Hmmmm I think this is one of the reasons children shouldn't play on the internet unsupervised. I know some of the people at the zoo, you couldn't be further from the truth.

I was offered an Anaconda from a guy who knew a guy who got an adult from a zoo a few years ago. Apparently the animal was said to of died at the zoo (but was really sold on the black market). BTW this was approx 6 years ago now.

Not saying it was Toronga zoo or that it was the same animal. I am just stating that they are here illegally.
In fact you just did say that. The old animal that used to be housed at Taronga died over ten years ago. A necropsy was performed on this animal and I have previously seen this report. This animal was over 30 years old. All other anacondas in zoos in the country are juveniles (~3-4yrd old) that were part of a co-operative import between zoos about three years back.

And they dont have their own vets on hand or on the payroll?
As far as I am aware, Taronga has three full-time veterinarians based at the zoo's veterinary centre in addition to three full-time pathologists. You should watch the TV program The Zoo when it comes back on.

Sammy

Wow I know people there too, do I deserve a medal? or is bragging online about it give enough credibility? LOL

I NEVER said it was from Toronga zoo & infact I made that perfectly clear in your highlighted quote above.
Perhaps you should re-read it again. Yes I was offered one approx 6 yrs ago. When asked where it came from I was told from a zoo they said it had died (this is what I was told, doesn't make it fact just hearsay) I was just making a point that they are here illegally and that I know this for a fact

3 vets & 3 pathos on the payroll...So what exactly is your point?
Oh and I agree children shouldn't play on the internet unsupervised.

Last edited:
Have a look at overseas sites where they talk about cage sizes etc, it seems they are very easy to house even with minimum space

Interesting discussion; here in the UK Anacondas are quite readily available, although mostly wild caught imports. They are nowhere near as popular as the large pythons because anyone wanting a large boid would have to wait 10 years with a neonate Anaconda, compared to maybe 2 to 4 years with the giant pythons. Plus there's a few misconceptions with their husbandry which leaves many trying to emulate their natural habitat in captivity which often results in poor levels of hygiene and dead snakes.

It is true they are docile (yellow anacondas are usually much more snappy and less docile in general) and have simple husbandry requirements - except (especially for females): living space. A 6x3x3 is NOT going to be adequate for a good sized adult female Green. They have massive sexual dimorphism a 6x3x3 is more than adequate for all except the largest male Greens, but a female Green, normally substantially longer and much bulkier would be very cramped...

In my opinion I would agree it would be naive to believe Anacondas aren't being privately kept in Australia. That said, there is probably only a slither of habitat in Australia that could support their living requirements.

So according to your reasoning if you witnessed a murder you wouldn't report it because there are so many more murders happening it wouldn't make any difference if one person is caught.

Not that I think importing exotics into aus is a good idea, but comparing it to murder? I would maybe compare it to a drug dealer. Would you dob in a drug dealer?

i hear ya mikep..I only buy australian but i know so many ppl with corns its not funny....and if ya get caught...the fines are high and the animals are put down so whats the point...you would be looking over ur shoulder all the time..as one of ya so called mates will dob ya in if ya piss them off hey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back