anacondas in australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, as much as I think chameleons would probably be my favourite reptile, I think I will be perfectly happy keeping any variety of the Australian reptiles that I am legally permitted to. I think we have enough to keep us interested here without looking overseas. Buy (and breed) Australian I say!

I think we have enough to keep us interested here without looking overseas. Buy (and breed) Australian I say!

i agree that the herps we are allowed to keep here are extraordinarily beautiful, but i also think it is a shame that we are limited. There are a number of snakes from around the world i would love to own, but that will not happen while i live here. And when you look into the reasoning, being that the animal could be released or escape and ruin the ecosystem, i think they are jumping to extremes slightly. In fact, there is probably more proof that they would just die then there is to say they will thrive. I get it, the government is cautious, but just because they introduce a few animals that they should have known would thrive, doesnt mean they should jump to conclusions

Scotty, there are already established exotics here apparently. It must be true, found it on APS lol.

It is not just the animals themselves that pose a threat, although I don't want QLD to turn into the everglades, it is also the diseases they could bring in that pose a massive risk to our native animals. There is no need to have them in this country. People just need to make a choice, live here and keep the animals we are permitted to keep or go somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong, I am not deluded, I know these animals are here. If you can smuggle fish in (which occurs frequently) you can smuggle reptiles in.

i was offered an anaconda about 5 years ago and i actually seen it first hand.
Last i heard the person who offered it was in jail.

I must add this was 5 years ago before i was into herps at all, but since getting into herps and now knowing what an anconda looks like im 99% sure that's what it was.

I was searching google for reptile classified sites this arvo and came across these albino burms, for a second i was like **** $300 for a albino darwin pair after i woke up and re entered reality i looked closer at the screen and saw they were burms.

[links advertising illegal reptiles deleted]
I think its not worth the risk etc to keep exotics but cant really stop people from keeping exotic species that have been in australian captivity longer then some australian reptiles.
Oh so pretty but im sure when it grows up and eats your kids and god forbid does the unthinkable and eats the rest of your herp collection the fun and thrill of keeping and exotic may wear off..........and come on $300 a pair what they given them away now lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its not worth the risk etc to keep exotics but cant really stop people from keeping exotic species that have been in australian captivity longer then some australian reptiles.
Oh so pretty but im sure when it grows up and eats your kids and god forbid does the unthinkable and eats the rest of your herp collection the fun and thrill of keeping and exotic may wear off..........and come on $300 a pair what they given them away now lol.

the nostalga around keeping large boids i think is crap people are quiet able to keep large boids, eat kids? large snakes arnt like little ones that can squeeze through the little gap in your glass........

i agree that the herps we are allowed to keep here are extraordinarily beautiful, but i also think it is a shame that we are limited. There are a number of snakes from around the world i would love to own, but that will not happen while i live here. And when you look into the reasoning, being that the animal could be released or escape and ruin the ecosystem, i think they are jumping to extremes slightly. In fact, there is probably more proof that they would just die then there is to say they will thrive. I get it, the government is cautious, but just because they introduce a few animals that they should have known would thrive, doesnt mean they should jump to conclusions

The case is exactly the same with ornamental fish. There are many fish which are blacklisted for import which would have no hope of surviving in our ecosystems however the biggest pest in our water ways, the carp also known in the ornamental trade as the koi, are readily imported into the country. The only reason they are not blacklisted is because the Koi community of Australia would be in outrage. I agree with you scotty in the sense the government is cautious, and for good reason ofcourse, however I just fail to understand the governments approach. There appears to be a double standard in regards to regulations. Which as far as I can gather a similar situation occurs between state authorities in the herp trade.

well if you want an exotic buy one. I don't think some exotic snakes would be incredibly bad, but if they became legal, there would be heaps of them. Being illegal is a huge detterent for people to not buy them, thus making the market for, and import of exotic snakes small. I like the idea of how anyone can get them if they look, but few actually do. Bad part of it is how some die and a treated poorly, until they come into the hands of the buyer who know a bit about snakes (usually).

to me the risk far outweighs the reward when it comes to owning exotics. The last thing i would want would to lose all my snakes, just because of this one snake i "had to have". I agree, if exotics were legal, they would flood the market and more than likely kill the native sales until the novelty wore off, and i would be guilty in aiding in that. However, just because i dont fully agree with it, doesnt mean i want it changed or would work my way around it. The one thing i would be worried about when importing exotics isnt the animals themselves, but what those animals might be carrying. There are relatively few diseases that affect our wildlife at the moment, but if too many exotics were brought in, its only a matter of time till you import their diseases as well, which would be disastrous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back