Another catcher bitten

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but how did he get access to so much venom?? He reckons hes been doing it on a regular basis since he was young and now hes in his 40's of something.
I am not sure, maybe milking his own snakes.
One milking would probably provide enough for a year or two of micro-doses, injected once a week.

I was only watching a documentary last night on Snake catchers in Latin America that go out catching the infamous Bothrops asper - fer de lance pit viper for milking to make anti-venom. Those guys don't muck about and take risks, they're full on, knee high thick rubber boots, kevlar like thick trousers and padding on their legs much the same as a cricketers shin pads. They're that suited up that it's a job just walking about the forest but I guess you don't want to risk a bite from a Lance head.

Same goes for any large Aussie elapids. I can't wrap my head around this guy's situation.
I just watched the video on the page about the big eastern brown in the chest of draws in the lawn shed in Toowoomba, yeah they get big here, also plenty of RBB's, spoke to a cocky only yesterday who claims to have shot another 3 last week with the .410. I need to get a bigger python, just went out to grab some woodies for the turtles and the Jacks were beckoning for me to follow them, they took me to a trap by my own lawn locker and yep, another Rattus rattus. As you can see, it's pretty wet, it's been raining solidly here now for 24 hours. This one's gonna be barking owl food tonight. Don't want browns hanging around here, they'll be Jack chew toys.
20180202_184336.jpg

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a large man (not necessarily fat) fair better than a skinny guy? More area for the venom to dissipate?
Toxins in Australian snakes are too large to directly enter the capillaries so they are carried in the tissue fluid to lymph vessels and eventually enter the circulation via a duct in the throat (thoracic duct) The toxins actually attach to chemicals in the tissue fluid to facilitate their transport via the lymph system. They are not taken up by cells and so size, and therefore the number of cells, does not have any effect in that respect. The only effect that size has is on the volume of blood. However, given that lethal doses of Brown snake toxin are measured in single figures of nanolitres per litre of blood, the variations in blood volume are pretty much irrelevant. That’s why, as George said, just a scratch is enough. The fangs only have to break through the protective epidermis, which is 1 mm thick on average.

Heard about a guy in America injecting himself with venom since he was very young and apparently most snake venom has little to no effect on him now? Sounds quite fishy though.
I watched video on that guy. He milks his own snakes. It works exactly the same way they produce antivenoms using animals such as horses. They begin by giving them small, non-deadly amounts of the venom to stimulate their immune system to produce antibodies (=anti-venom). Then they gradually increase it to stimulate more and more antibody production. Eventually they start taking blood and harvesting the specific antibodies for the toxins.

A few of the old time snake men came unstuck this way. Through being repeatedly bitten and surviving they developed immunity to the local elapids. They would take a full on bite at their snake shows and then sell bottles of their “secret antidote”. One I can remember went to Africa and took a full on bite from a Black Mamba and died. He didn’t have the specific antibodies for its toxins.

A few of the old time snake men came unstuck this way. Through being repeatedly bitten and surviving they developed immunity to the local elapids. They would take a full on bite at their snake shows and then sell bottles of their “secret antidote”. One I can remember went to Africa and took a full on bite from a Black Mamba and died. He didn’t have the specific antibodies for its toxins.

There was a bloke named Fred Fox who was the original "Snake Man" of La Perouse in Sydney's South who had an immunity to Tigers and used to sell his "snake bite cure" to the public after his show. He went to India and got tagged by a Krait in Calcutta in 1914 and died as a result. As it went, the guy that took over from Fox at La Perouse was named Herb See and he fell fowl to a Tiger bite while doing the show and despite taking a dose of his "snake oil" died as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back