Another drive and ID lol

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waruikazi

Legendary
Reaction score
There must be something about the weather atm that our drunk friends love (legless... get it? No? Wow tough crowd!). Another Burtons in a completely different area. This one was in Kakadu, from that side they seem to have a more prominent white stripe.

PA250116.jpg

PA250118.jpg

PA250120.jpg

I also found this fella back in Arnhem land, gave me a great big cotton bo... lol. I'm really ashamed to be asking for an ID on it, i just can't pick it. I really want it to be a mulga, it looks mulgaish to me. Smaller eye, minimal markings between head scales, no streaks on the nape and a bit over 1.2m. But true mulgas are pretty rare out here now, it didn't have a mulga attitude, not all weigelis have streaks on the nape and it is about the size of a large weigeli.

PA250124.jpg

PA250126.jpg

PA250128.jpg

PA250129.jpg

to be honest I've never looked into it before but could someone explain the difference between p.australis p.weigeli?
thanks I realy appreciate it!

Two different species of the black snakes. Main difference is in the size, weigeli's are also known as pygmy king browns.

Exciting find, you lucky bugger:)! Looks very much like one of my guys?!

Attachments

• Male Mulga 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    Male Mulga 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Male Mulga 008 [1600x1200].jpg
    Male Mulga 008 [1600x1200].jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 158
  • MD male-2nd adult mouse 007 [1600x1200].jpg
    MD male-2nd adult mouse 007 [1600x1200].jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 130
Two different species of the black snakes. Main difference is in the size, weigeli's are also known as pygmy king browns.
Realy so that's the only difference? So if that was the only difference shouldn't they be a subspecies of Australis? judging by their scientific name they aren't, or are they?
Sorry for the newb questions.

It really does doesn't it! I think i need an Eipper or the likes to put my mind at ease though.

No it's not the only difference. They aren't a sub species but they are most likely a species complex that still needs some work. I think they were described in the early 2000's.

Realy so that's the only difference? So if that was the only difference shouldn't they be a subspecies of Australis? judging by their scientific name they aren't, or are they?
Sorry for the newb questions.

I'd agree, the only correctly I.D'd Weigeli I've seen were from Groote and it had streaks and an olive complexion (so completely different from a mainland P W). Looks promising, though.

Well it's two in a bit over two months. This one has avoided the toads for a while, not sure how long they take to grow but it would have to be around the 2 year mark... hopefully they are starting to develop different taste buds!

Over 6 months in the Kalkaringi area I never saw an adult KB, only a few juvies. Found 2 dead adults both with a toad in the gob.

The p.weigeli was found by Richard Wells and Ross Welington in 1987. and the main difference is the size with a p.weigeli getting to about 5 - 6ft and the p.australis getting much larger.
Eddie...

Over 6 months in the Kalkaringi area I never saw an adult KB, only a few juvies. Found 2 dead adults both with a toad in the gob.

There must be some savvy snakes out there if they are making it to breeding age without eating a toad. Surely they would have come in contact with them in the time it took them to mature?

There must be some savvy snakes out there if they are making it to breeding age without eating a toad. Surely they would have come in contact with them in the time it took them to mature?

My bet is that if they were hungry enough, I couldn't see why a toad wouldn't be on the menu, unfortunately. It would be interesting to see if these "savvy snakes" would eat a toad if offered in a captive environment. Captive bred animals seem to be real pigs. Mine even eat paper towel if for some reason I skip a feed:)!

Attachments

• garbage guts! 008 [1600x1200].jpg
    garbage guts! 008 [1600x1200].jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 111
My bet is that if they were hungry enough, I couldn't see why a toad wouldn't be on the menu, unfortunately. It would be interesting to see if these "savvy snakes" would eat a toad if offered in a captive environment. Captive bred animals seem to be real pigs. Mine even eat paper towel if for some reason I skip a feed:)!

It's just strange that some seem to avoid them, while others gobble them up. I can't imagine the ones that make it to breeding age have never come across a toad while they were hungry. I've never been there, though. Is the toad population relatively low?

How did you get the tea towel out of its mouth? Did you have to open its mouth by hand?

I told him he was a bad boy and to drop:)! Elapids often regurge when harrassed, like pythons, I guess.

Nice photo Richard! I'll try and dig up one I have of a Mozambique Spitting Cobra trying to eat a cloth that's soaked in methylated spirits.

Nice photo Richard! I'll try and dig up one I have of a Mozambique Spitting Cobra trying to eat a cloth that's soaked in methylated spirits.

I'd like to see that:)! My guess is that the Top Ender tried to swallow the paper because it had traces of blood from a prey item, but methylated spirits just sounds bizzare?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back