Another temp help thread :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpAddict

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've done a bit of a search but couldn't find much help.
Yesterday I put my new enclosures together and the temperature doesn't seem as hot as it should be. I've put a oz herp thermometer on the basking spot to measure basking temp. I don't have a temp gun so is this a valid way to measure basking temp.

rabysu6u.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

A lot depends upon the accuracy of the thermometer. Put it in the cage floor and see if it reduces, then closer to the heat(near the light piece on the branch) and see if the temp increases. Put it on some ice in your freezer and it should be around zero. Finally watch the snake and see if it is "chasing" the heat or trying to escape the heat.

If you are using a thermostat that also has temp gauge in it put the thermostat probe under the light as well, add both temps up and devide it by 2 and you will have an average temp, if it is too hot try both on the floor and if too cold you might like to make a 400mmX400mm platform closer to the light, and as Warwick mentioned you also need to watch your snakes behaviour, it will be the best judge in the end. :) ....................................Ron

It would help to know what reptile you have and what the basking spot temp registers as, plus what you think the ideal temperature should be. Ventilation can have a very big influence on temps in enclosures.

If used according to directions, there is no reason your Oz Herp thermometer should not give you an accurate reading. If you really want to check it, take it into a store that sells accurate thermometers and sit it on the shelf next to one for 60 seconds or so. Comparing readings will tell you how accurate it is.

Blue

Having a rock or something similar below the heat source should hep retain a bit of the heat.

Keep in mind the human body is usually in the low 30's. So often the correct temp doesn't feel warm to us.
As stated above a tile or a rock to retain heat can help directly under the basking globe.
What temps is it reading and what are you trying to achieve?

Keep in mind the human body is usually in the low 30's. So often the correct temp doesn't feel warm to us.

Something that struck me with keeping fish. Put your hand in 26 degree water and it feels quite cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back