Any herpetology people here ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew.21

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about studying herpetology but I really don't know much about it. Is there any herps here that could give me some good advice , like how hard it is and is there a great career path for it in Australia ? Lots of details would be great also I've asked questions like this before so sorry if its annoying . Bad memory

I've looked into it quite a bit and I've learned that A) it is EXTREMELY hard to get into. B) It's an awesome job so everyone wants to do it, meaning you have to be exceptional to go anywhere. And C) Prepare to travel far to study if you do go ahead with it. In N.S.W your best chances would be to volunteer at the Aussie Reptile park and take the zoology course through them too, if they still do it. A lot of people accept that in reality anyone can study reptiles no matter what paperwork you have and get heavy into keeping and breeding to live as close as they can to their dream.

As far as I know there is not a lot of universities in Australia that major specifically in herpetology. I am currently studying a Bachelor of Science at the University of Queensland where I will be majoring in zoology and ecology. Honestly I have found it easy so far but this is still only my first year. I have always found anything with biology very easy so depending on what your aptitude is would determine how easy you may find it. Main jobs after finishing is spotter catcher work, environment consultancy, zoo and research based work. So if you are interested in that sort of thing it would be good. Just be aware it is a very competitive industry to get into so you might not get your dream job. Hopefully this helps you a bit.
Cheers Cameron

I also haven't come across universities that have specific herpetology program. I have just stopped studying History, German and Secondary Education to switch over to a Bachelor of Applied Science majoring in Wildlife Science at the University of Queensland which I will start next year. It was a big thing for me to give up what I had already been studying for a while but the Wildlife Science program is perfect for me and I cannot wait to start. I don't know what kind of learner you are but the Bachelor of Applied Science is obviously very practical and hands on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back