any suggestions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roadkill5000

Reaction score
i am going to build a tank for a childrens python that i hope to get in the not to distant future.the measurements that i would like to build are 3ft l,2ft h,1 1/2ft w is this to big :?: or to small :?: or a good size :?: or what :?:
also any suggestions for materials or anything would be great :D

Size, sounds perfect, I had two maccies in one about that size!

Mine was, or is, (still have it) out of wood with sliding glass front.
It is one of those commercial ones, I purchased at the Reptile Barn in St. Marys.
Check out the place, if you haven?t been there, its great and not far from where you are.
:)

Size seems fine.Ours is 4ft x2ft x2ft and we will keep 2 maccies in it when they get a little larger.
One thing you might want to consider if you are building out of timber/ply/mdf/melamine etc is the sheet sizes they come in.

I made ours 4ft(pics in album) only because these were the lengths of the sheets purchased and I utilised the entire sheets.

cheers

Why did you use 3mm glass? It's not significantly cheaper than 6mm. Was it something you had already? :D

hey artie if you dont want it i will by it off you for a fare price.
as i would like 2 enclosures 1 for a stimpsons aswell as a childrens.
as for reptilebarn been there tones of times selling insects but there prices on some things are abit rediculas (just my opinion).
so what is the best sized sheet of glass 3mm or 6mm :?:

Hi Tim, I?m not selling that one, but I have an enclosure that I just recently made,
800mm wide 450mm deep 450mm high has 4mm sliding glass front and heat globe connection with protector.
If you?re interested let me know.
Artie

If you are using sliding glass doors then the glass size is dependant upon the sliding tracks you use. I haven't built one for over a month but I think the commercially available sliding tracks are made for either 4mm or 4.5mm glass. I would advise you to use the commercial tracks unless you really are a dab hand with the router. I've made my own in the past but routing them correctly is a real Bi*ch! Melamine is one of the easiest materials to use and safest too. MDF is excellent too as long as you seal it properly and wear a mask when tooling it! If you use melamine then dowel all your butt joints for strength and use a GOOD quality P.V.A.
Hope this helps a little.

Sliding tracks are for 4mm glass, just purchased some!

Tim, let me know asp. As there is some one else interested from the site, if you aren't!

let the other person have it as i dont have the money at the moment and would like to have the experience of building one myself.
maybe in the future i could get you to build one for me or something.

No worries mate and good luck with your building.
If you change your mind, let me know, as the other person decided to build his own as well.

Below is approx costs from bunnings gt west hwy minchunburry

2 3x2melamine = approx $20each
2 2x2melamine = approx $20each
1 3x2pegboard = approx $20

below is quoted from reptile barn gt west hwy st marys

Thermostat = $47
2 BC light fittings = $6each
2 sheets of 4mm glass = approx $40
1 set of 4mm glass tracks = $17

I would use 2 normal incandescent light globes (preferably red) at 60watt -75watt each.The idea of pegboard gives good ventilation and because it isnt a huge rear wall plus the rear is up against a wall in your room not alot of heat loss will exist.The globes may be overkill but due to thermostatically controlling it will keep temps at a regular heat.Also if 1 globe should blow you have the safety of a 2nd globe so temps do not fall too low. For DIY your looking at roughly $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back