Anyone a lawyer or solicitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronR

Reaction score
Hi all. My local council are trying/going to bring in a by-law stating residents may only keep 2 reptiles (amongst other animals) I for one currently own many more than the allowable 2. I don't see how me owning more than 2 reptile effects my neighbors or council for that matter. So what can I do??

I have no clue, but really they cant do that. There are people with hundreds, they cant make them sell up.

are you in any herp socitys or incorperated clubs?
and see about starting a pitision to fight the preposed by law,
as you think you'd find that many how keep reptiles have morethan 2.

my uncle's a solicitor i will trie to get his number off my mum but shes in bali atm and i will see what he says might just be able to get you a rough idea
that sucks by the way

Jebus! Like you said doesn't affect the neighbours etc at all, minimal waste and smell and no noise. Wonder if they have proposed the same for bird and fish keepers?

Perhaps see the local member of parliment?

in qld they have started changin the by-laws for birds,
a lot of the clubs fought it, but some areas arent as lucky as others,

in residental areas you can only have a maximum of 30 birds total,
nore more than 1 cockatoo (or "simalaur" bird) cages have to be 2 meters from the fence and a a heap of other stupid details.

again some areas got it worce than others so its very confusing as to waht you can and cant have/do

I am not a member oh of the VHS unfortunately but must admit I love to fight with council and get to do that alot through work. I think I will see my local state member of parliament thanks for the idea. I mean they are also saying you can have 2 rats or mice, 2 turtles, 2 Ferrets I mean the shire of yarra ranges is really just nannying our municipality

Your local council can't do anything. Reptile licenses are controlled at a state level.

It's going to make breeding your own food difficult too, if rats and mice are limited.

Are the council limiting the number of dogs or cats to two? What uproar that would cause, yet both species are capable of being a lot more of a nuisance than reptiles in an enclosure. Have the council given any reason?

Seeing your MP is a good idea. I think you need to make contact with other reptile owners in the same shire and present a united front. You could probably start right here on APS.

spot on the council cant do anything,they would have to prove that it would be a disturbance or a danger to have more then 2 reptiles in a residence house.

but its ok for council to restrict cat and dog owners to a limited number despite the right people doing the right things by keeping them registered, desexing them, cleaning up after them, etc?

come on whats good for the goose is good for the gander, i often wondered what would happen if a council ever tried something like this guess now i have the answer

Your local council can't do anything. Reptile licenses are controlled at a state level.

I'm not sure that's true, unfortunately. I could be wrong, but since council are responsible for regulation of animals - they are the ones who register cats and dogs - I think they can pass whatever laws they like on that subject.

Where are the details of this posted, Aaron?

Yarra City already has something similar in effect:

Number of Animals Permitted | Yarra City Council

It looks like you can apply to keep more if you want, though I don't know how succesful the application would be. What I find silly is that you can't keep reptiles in a flat. I did in Port Phillip for 9 months and no one had a clue, not even the real estate agents who carried out a condition inspection once and an open-for-inspection twice.

Maybe check out how the system works in Yarra City.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that's true, unfortunately. I could be wrong, but since council are responsible for regulation of animals - they are the ones who register cats and dogs - I think they can pass whatever laws they like on that subject.

Law and legislation is passed at a state level. Reptile license's are handled by your acorrding national parks service or DECC. All control over this licensing would have to handed off to your local council before they had any power to act.

Unless you got your Reptile license from the council I would even give it a second thought.

I tend to think that Kurto is on the money, reptiles (native wildlife) come under the direction of the state
government. Local councils can direct on domestic pets, but not natives.

Whereabouts are you Aaron?
I used to live in Warby and knew a council member, not sure if he still is but ya never know.

Law and legislation is passed at a state level. Reptile license's are handled by your acorrding national parks service or DECC. All control over this licensing would have to handed off to your local council before they had any power to act.

That's a good point. I wonder if this has ever been fought in a court of law before?

Certainly the City of Greater Geelong accepts that it's under the jurisdiction of the DSE: Keeping Animals on Your Property - City of Greater Geelong

Last edited:
but its ok for council to restrict cat and dog owners to a limited number despite the right people doing the right things by keeping them registered, desexing them, cleaning up after them, etc?

come on whats good for the goose is good for the gander, i often wondered what would happen if a council ever tried something like this guess now i have the answer

What a retarded thing to say! If you have 20 odd snakes in tubs/cages inside your house/garage, it's very managable. 20 dogs/cats in your house is an absolute nightmare unless you live on a big property. Are you one of these crazy cat ladies? No offense, just asking, 'cause some of those houses stink!

What does that mean for someone keeping fish?? Does the law still apply? And considering the way most snakes are housed how is that different from having several aquarium? Holy crap does that mean little Sally has to flush 3 of her 5 goldfish? Just a couple of questions I would be putting to my local member if I was in your boat.
Comparing keeping snakes to keeping cats and dogs is a big stretch. Never heard of a noise complaint about anyones snake and the cats i get on my verandah every night are very unlikely to be replaced by the jungle that belongs to the guy down the road.
Sorry to hear of your local councils stupidity. Keep us updated

Last edited:

Yes, it is okay. My dogs bark a lot more than my reptiles do, I'm sure this has more of an impact on the neighbours. My cats are kept inside but I know the destruction they can cause when let outside even if they are desexed and chipped. Dogs and cats in general have a much more profound impact on the environment than a native reptile ever would.

What about the number of reptile keepers that do the right thing by looking after their animals and keeping their records up to date?

Hi all. My local council are trying/going to bring in a by-law stating residents may only keep 2 reptiles (amongst other animals) I for one currently own many more than the allowable 2. I don't see how me owning more than 2 reptile effects my neighbors or council for that matter. So what can I do??

As Kurto says... the DSE have jurisdiction over native wildlife not the council. They would be my first point of contact for clarification. It does'nt matter that your not a member of the VHS (though this might be a good time to sign up and support them ;) ), this is the kind of info that would be an interest to them, so let them know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back