Anyone after a baby brown snake......

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know that snakes bury their eggs, or even have the ability, that would be quite the feat with only a tail to work with. Considering there were 31 eggs buried out of sight, I would say they are lizard eggs and not snake eggs.
Hopefully they do a follow up story to comfirm what they are.

Just shows how stupid Yvette Attlier and Rod Miller from the local Fauna Wildlife Rescue Group are and what little they know about reptiles in general. they should never have reported the find to the press before consulting with those in the know. There's no way that these would have been Brown's eggs. For starters Brown's aren't communal layers and they don't dig nests to lay their eggs. They lay them on the top of loose soil under loose bark or rocks. In fact one of their favourite places to lay them is under concrete slabs.

I don't think Bryan Fry got it right either. The only other species of snakes in that area that would have eggs that size are Common Tree Snakes and Pythons. They aren't python eggs and I very much doubt they're Tree Snake eggs either. I've been discussing this on line with friends since the group first posted about the discovery and given the location, the shape of the eggs, that they were laid in sand and the number found we're convinced that they are actually Water Dragon eggs. However only time will tell if they've kept them with the aim to hatch them.

I agree... the shape is wrong for a colubrid tree snake (long and oval), and pythons nest-guard. Brown snakes do not lay so many eggs, and neither do they make a communal nest site. Another thing - eggs normally take about two months to hatch - if the sandpit was recently relaid (supposingly making it perfect for snakes), then the eggs should not be at such a advanced stage of development that "a small striped snake" could be seen in it. They do look a lot like water dragon eggs. Maybe soon people will start alleging they are blue-tongue eggs! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back