Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I jumped out of the shower after pulling a pool apart, my wife pointed out a red blister circle about the size of a ten cent coin on my upper thigh, I went to my clothes (still in the bathroom) and shook them to find a white tailed spider (there are two species). I let it go and it was itchy, and grew over the next week to about the size of a fifty cent coin, so I went to the doce and he said it looked like a fungal infection and sorted me out with some anti fungal cream which sorted it out quickly.... 12 months later it came back in the exact same spot, I was very suprised, treated it the same way and it went again, been about 2 years and havn't seen any more of it...
I was bitten by a Dwyers snake, sore finger....
stung by a Red Rock Cod and also Spinefoot fish, both hurt more than I care to think about.
Also stung by a few wasps, dozens of bees, bulljay ants ect, ticks... ect ect ect.
As for blue bottles, my brothers and I used to throw them at each other as kids, they hardly leave marks on me at all..

...so many people say the same thing or very similar ..so how can we all be wrong?

The amount of people saying its happening doesn't make it anymore real!
So many people tell me tiger snakes (in particular, maybe the Mexican northern migration in play) are cross breeding with carpet pythons.. so many people, how could they be wrong? surely such a biological impossibility must be true in your logic.
Why stop there? surely gigantic serpents shaped our Australian landscape to, i mean a lot of Aboriginals believed it at one point, how could they be wrong?

I think your logic is ridiculous.
But honestly prove me wrong by all means, anything within the last decade thats peer reviewed (not from ACA etc).

:)
Edit : admittedly not peer reviewed so take it for what its worth.
[video=youtube;CrJ7U64_sRI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrJ7U64_sRI[/video]

I got bitten by a little mustard bellied snake that a guy had run over with his lawn mower, thrown it into a bucket and left it there for 3 days. I guess it was pissed and took it out on me as I have handled quite a few of them and never had a problem. I picked it up to check out it's wounds and it grabbed hold and had a good chew. I have attached a photo of my swollen hand, you can see the bite sites on the pointer finger of my left hand. It started out as an itch about 3 hours later and swelled up over the next 3. Over the next couple of days it went black then yellow like a bruise and faded away. The actual bite site was itchy for months.
rhoda1.jpg
rhoda2.jpg

So the biggest centipedes alive today frow to about 30 cm (12 in) in the largest scolopendromorphs (as advised by wikipedia).

There is an extinct ancient spp which grew to a meter in length..... maybe you rediscovered it?!?!?!?!

I did relief nursing in Vanuatu and there are some big *** bugs there, not just centipedes. 3 feet is way bigger than anything i saw but i could definately believe it. I wouldnt imagine there would be much in the way of zoological research into centipedes over there. remembering that new species are discovered every day. A good example of this is the western taipan (or similarly named) of which only 2 have ever been recorded, both dead.

So many people tell me tiger snakes (in particular, maybe the Mexican northern migration in play) are cross breeding with carpet pythons.. so many people, how could they be wrong? surely such a biological impossibility must be true in your logic.
Why stop there? surely gigantic serpents shaped our Australian landscape to, i mean a lot of Aboriginals believed it at one point, how could they be wrong?

But honestly prove me wrong by all means, anything within the last decade thats peer reviewed (not from ACA etc).

YouTube - The White Tailed Spider - ABC Catalyst 18/11/2004
ok then we must have all imagined what happened to our bodies after the spider bite now ....OBVIOUSLY WE ALL WERE ANAL PROBED BY ALIENS INSTEAD!!!!

Stories are different to personal experience with evidence that can be seen and felt. Your comparisons are ridiculous. I'll remind you that there are also dream time stories of giant monitor lizards, giant wombats, giant roos etc. They turned out to be real, just exticnt.

now for something a little different. i haven't been bitten by anything terribly serious - unless you have allergies, like me.

ants are evil. they only have to walk across my skin for me to get a rash and some minor swelling from them. if they bite, the area swells extremely quickly to about 3 times its normal size. when i was about 6 i was bitten on the little toe by a bull ant. my entire foot swelled to the point that my shoe would not fit back on past my toes. the swelling went to above my ankle, almost to the middle of my calf and stayed like this for about 2 to 2.5 weeks. along with the swelling, i suffered from headaches and my leg hurt really badly. i was tempted to cut it off, the pain was so intense.

i also have an allergy to python saliva. the puncture sites swell, fill with pus and have a burning/itchy sensation. the last time my scrubby bit me, i lanced the wounds and a brown liquid came out with the pus. it smelt really bad too. not looking forward to getting tagged by him as an adult lol

time to drag these photos out again!

Attachments

• Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_MarshSnake_02.jpg
    Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_MarshSnake_02.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 386
  • Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_MarshSnake_03.jpg
    Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_MarshSnake_03.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 406
  • Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_MarshSnake_01.jpg
    Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_MarshSnake_01.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 486
The meat of the thumb seems to be a popular bite site! I think you should link that story too Fuscus.

There isn't any legitimate evidence for any Australian species causing the legendary symptoms, im fairly sure the Australian (and Brazilian) Wolf spider has also been cleared of all charges. :) .. the myth is purpetuated by misinformed doctors still though.
Some people speculate the possibility of some recluse spiders having hitchhiked here, and might be the real cause.. bit of a stretch but who knows.

There is a lot of good info about.
I think the Australian reptile park might of run a bite trial with white tails deliberately envenoming something like 200 people? with no unusual reactions.

Anyways here some info from a credible source.
white tailed spider bites

It seems a little strange then that so many people have experienced these symptoms? RBB and 2 of her family members have all experienced blisters, ulcers puss etc and bad scarring. How is this explained?

I am not trying to argue, but it seems clear to me. Some people are obviously more sensitive to the toxins than others and experience different effects.

These people are uneducated and can not prove their claims. How can you disrepute a reaction to someones body, they have real physical evidence. If i can see my skin is raised into an ulcer like lesion with puss coming from it......... i can assure you that is what is happening! Nothing in those reports you have posted say it is impossible for the venom to cause these side effects does it??? no.

Most people can eat peanuts with no problems.... some people almost die when their skin comes into contact with them. People react differently to things. Why is it so hard to believe that people on this forum have been bitten by the spp in question and experienced these symptoms????

I think this comparison you have made is absolutely ridiculous!
I would have thought that all the members on here would have already done that?? Seems you have your opinions and nothing will allow you to see otherwise.

All the best, RBB. I knew a guy who went through a similar ordeal, and after an intensive recovery period, all is okay. If you need a great cardiac scientist on your side, let me know!

Stung badly by blue bottles while snorkelling about 6 mths ago when the wind changed suddenly. Two mates and I had to go to the local shop and buy toothbrushes to scrub the tentacles out of our skin. Youch!

Green ants affect me really badly, too. I swell and have to take panadol just to make it through, whereas my partner barely flinches.

I was bitten by a flying insect in the bush in rural Zambia. It landed and bit me on the arm, but I never saw it. It STUNG! I cried out in pain, then immediately blacked out and fell on the ground. I woke up about two minutes later, then vomited non-stop for 40mins. There was this great big single hole in my arm where it bit me which stung and flared up for months, and my arm was double size for about a week. I asked the locals, but they could only guess what it might have been. It was pretty crazy at the time!

I was bitten by a flying insect in the bush in rural Zambia. It landed and bit me on the arm, but I never saw it. It STUNG! I cried out in pain, then immediately blacked out and fell on the ground. I woke up about two minutes later, then vomited non-stop for 40mins. There was this great big single hole in my arm where it bit me which stung and flared up for months, and my arm was double size for about a week. I asked the locals, but they could only guess what it might have been. It was pretty crazy at the time!

Thats crazy Kristy! Wouldn't you love to know what it was! How frustrating...... lucky it wasn't a Bot Fly! Yuck !

I think the Australian reptile park might of run a bite trial with white tails deliberately envenoming something like 200 people? with no unusual reactions.

Are you serious!? Who the hell would sign up for that??

ok apparently my posts regarding the white tip just go unread, if any one had read them then they would have the answer to the last page of white tip debating.

there is a bit of miss communication going on between some of the white tip posts, Australis is referring to the myth of white tip bytes causing a form of necrotizing fasciitis (decay and rotting of flesh), this is indeed a myth widely spread.

as per my previous posts this LINK White-tailed Spider - Australian Museum to the Australian museum, mention's the disputed necrosis myths and points out its most likely a bacterial infection (possibly carried with the spider) so the necrosis effects are not related to the spiders venom BUT is not unrelated to the spiders bite BUT its also unproven as to the cause of the few necrosis cases.

but this is not to say that the white tip does not cause tissue damage etc, from what RBB and other described they sound like a typical white tip bite. but are not the mythical narcosis bites.

does this clarify it for you all? i had 5 hrs sleep so this is probably not the most eloquent post.

Uh... at the end of the day, they have the problem cos the spider bit them, right? Regardless of whether its bacteria, venom or something else. Thats why I'm freaked out by them... I saw a woman with a gross patch on her arm and she said she was bitten by a white tip.

oh most definitely they are still damaging bites and not too be taken lightly and can cause scaring, i was simply trying to quell the potential flaming due to misinterpretation of each others posts/intentions.

View attachment 164810How about this sucker! Pic was taken at our house in Jabiru.....Mouse Spider....I hear they are quite venomous and the bite is to be treated the same as a funnel web...compression bandage. Don't know much else about them though....angry thing too.

oh most definitely they are still damaging bites and not too be taken lightly and can cause scaring, i was simply trying to quell the potential flaming due to misinterpretation of each others posts/intentions.

Thanks for clearing that up. Pretty scary that noone really knows the true cause of the reaction then **shudders** i definitely dont want to suffer any more bites lol.

Scorpions, centipedes, jellyfish, sea urchins, bees, wasps, hornets, spiders, and ants have all successfully taken turns at trying to maim me many times over.

Scorpion sting on the stomach was probably the most painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back