Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh... at the end of the day, they have the problem cos the spider bit them, right? Regardless of whether its bacteria, venom or something else. Thats why I'm freaked out by them... I saw a woman with a gross patch on her arm and she said she was bitten by a white tip.

Well thats the thing, people who didn't even see what bit them will say it was a white tip if a skin problem develops.
If i develop an ulcer on my leg and go to see my doctor and tell him i was gardening at the time or im fearful of spider bite he will diagnose me with whitetail spider bite.
If i went anywhere, even a bus stop and showed people and asked them if they thought it was a white tailed spider bite, im sure most would bang on with how its like "such & suchs" bite from a white tailed.

This whole Australian Myth seems to have started in Sydney (Sutherland Shire?) in the early 80s. Its been perpetuated within the medical profession ever since.

Well thats the thing, people who didn't even see what bit them will say it was a white tip if a skin problem develops.
If i develop an ulcer on my leg .....

Australis, Ulceration is a symptom of a white tip that is no myth, i hope your not confusing a normal ulceration of the skin with a necrotic ulceration of the skin.

last night i dreamed i was bit by a baby mulger lol

Well thats the thing, people who didn't even see what bit them what about the posters on here who have been bitten and had the WHITE TAIL spider still on their person??? You have to admit, a white tail spider is pretty easily identified......will say it was a white tip if a skin problem develops.
If i develop an ulcer on my leg and go to see my doctor and tell him i was gardening at the time or im fearful of spider bite he will diagnose me with whitetail spider bite.
If i went anywhere, even a bus stop and showed people and asked them if they thought it was a white tailed spider bite, im sure most would bang on with how its like "such & suchs" bite from a white tailed.

This whole Australian Myth seems to have started in Sydney (Sutherland Shire?) in the early 80s. Its been perpetuated within the medical profession ever since.

i thought there would of been 100 blokes puting 'my wife' on this question...

i thought the tears would douse the fire, but alas science and logic fail on wives as it would seem lol

i thought the tears would douse the fire, but alas science and logic fail on wives as it would seem lol

every man knows you cant put the flames out with water, only thing that puts it out is a 'credit card'.. 'cash' is even better..... failing that 'a puppy' might work..

Australis, Ulceration is a symptom of a white tip that is no myth, i hope your not confusing a normal ulceration of the skin with a necrotic ulceration of the skin.

Tristan,
I really does seem to be a myth..

Jay84,
Even seasoned experts use a microscope to identify a white tailed spider down to species level so i wouldn't describe them as "pretty easy"..

So Jay, in the below study 130 confirmed bites but none showed or later developed necrotic lesions or ulcers.
You don't find that more damning than RBB anecdotal account?

The Medical Journal of Australia; said:
The Medical Journal of Australia
White-tail spider bite: a prospective study of 130 definite bites by Lampona species.

"Clinical effects

The median duration of effects was 24 hours (IQR, 1–168 hours). Pain or discomfort occurred in all cases, was mild to moderate in 95 cases and severe in 35 (Box 4). Itchiness occurred in 44% of cases, and was delayed from 1 hour to 5 days in 34% (Box 4). There were three distinct patterns of clinical effects: pain only, pain and red mark for < 24 hours, and a persistent painful or irritating red lesion (Box 4). There was no difference in the clinical effects or clinical syndrome caused by L. cylindrata and L. murina (Box 4). No necrotic lesions or ulcers developed as a consequence of a white-tail spider bite (0; 97.5% CI, 0–2.8%), and there were no cases of confirmed infection..

Full paper:
eMJA: White-tail spider bite: a prospective study of 130 definite bites by Lampona species

Tristan,
I really does seem to be a myth..

Jay84,
Even seasoned experts use a microscope to identify a white tailed spider down to species level so i wouldn't describe them as "pretty easy"..

So Jay, in the below study 130 confirmed bites but none showed or later developed necrotic lesions or ulcers.
You don't find that more damning than RBB anecdotal account?

Full paper:
eMJA: White-tail spider bite: a prospective study of 130 definite bites by Lampona species

Out of 130 people being fed peanuts how many will die?? Probably none........ feed a few more and you may find one that has anaphylactic reactions. I am not arguing this point, i am simply saying, people like JasonL and RBB who say they have been bitten, physically seen the spider, and had these reactions...... i don't question them. As stated before, i do not know what spider bit me.... i can only describe the bite.

every man knows you cant put the flames out with water, only thing that puts it out is a 'credit card'.. 'cash' is even better..... failing that 'a puppy' might work..

Bugger the puppy - a snake would work for me any day!!!!

Present her with a handbag at a romantic dinner, that's gotta be worth a month at least

Last edited:
I got bitten by the snake species Trouserous Snakeitus about 11 years ago.
Suffered gradually increasing swelling for 9 months before going through 16 hours of the most excruciating pain.
Still see the effects of that bite to this day ;)
(But I wouldn't have it any other way)

I got bitten by the snake species Trouserous Snakeitus about 11 years ago.
Suffered gradually increasing swelling for 9 months before going through 16 hours of the most excruciating pain.
Still see the effects of that bite to this day ;)
(But I wouldn't have it any other way)
wow you mustve been smarter then me ...I got tagged 4 times by that species ...
still encounter it alot but now it seems its only ever dry bites ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back