Anyone else feeling the aquarium hobby drawing them away from herps?

Discussion in 'Other Animals and Invertebrate' started by RoryBreaker, Jun 1, 2019.

1. cris

cris Almost Legendary

I had an angler fish for a few months, it died after an unfortunately and obviously incorrect water change. It was caught in 20cm deep water in a canal at the Gold Coast. By angler fish I mean a fish with a lure in front of its head, it would easily eat fire tail gudgeons twice its length,

I did not check for bioluminesense, but suspect it probably could do that.

Archer fish are cool too, but they need heating in Brisbane.

2. Sdaji

Sdaji Almost Legendary

Not sufficiently familiar with the movie to catch the reference, but it's pretty cool to hear people are keeping those things! Extremely interesting fish, and not just because of the light. If you wouldn't mind sharing pictures and a bit of your experience with them I'd love to read about it. I imagine they'd require at least a bit in the way of special conditions (coming from such an extreme environment I wouldn't have been surprised if it was close enough to impossible to keep them in a home aquarium, which is why when I read angler fish I thought it was an error in referring to archer fish). If you have them I assume they do fine in normal pressure, and maybe they just need to be kept cold? No idea, I'd love to hear more about them.

Southernserpent likes this.
  3. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

Hi mate I've definitely never kept nor ever will keep angler fish. The only marine species I keep is the lion fish AKA butterfly cod.

4. cris

cris Almost Legendary

Before I accidentally killed it I kept mine in a 3 litre critter thingy with the flip top lid. There are lots of different types of angler fish, I also used to think they were exclusively deep water animals. They appear to be very intelligent for fish. One of my mates used to catch marine fish for the aquarium trade and said they where rare to find. If I ever bothered to have a marine tank I would definitely try to get another one.

5. Sdaji

Sdaji Almost Legendary

Seems like there's a lot more to these things than I realised. I'll go do some reading about them.

6. Grunter023

Grunter023 Subscriber Subscriber

It's funny how things go in cycles. I was into keeping fish for years before the reptiles. I did hear a lot of fish keepers end up gong down the reptile path like myself. I had not kept fish for about 10 years and now within 6 months I have 5 fish tanks keeping African Cichlids, Discus and heaps of different L number catfish. I am enjoying keeping both reptiles and fish now. I have rigged up a device out of 25mm pvc pipe that makes water changes a breeze to do that runs out onto the lawn. Back in the day I used to use buckets - was painful.

Flaviemys purvisi likes this.
  7. Ella C

Ella C Active Member

I started with frogs, moved into aquariums and now am loving reptiles. It's far easier to tell whether or not a reptile is ill I find, and they are more interactive. Saying this, I still have a small goldfish pond and a 20 litre betta tank.

8. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

I just set up a new 10 gallon aquarium for 8 Celestial Pearl Danios (AKA Galaxy Rasboras). This aquarium sits on my home office desk just to provide a little necessary distraction.
    These pics aren't mine, my fish haven't arrived yet but it's just to show what they look like.
    Celestial-Pearl-Danio-600x365.jpg Danio-margaritatus-2__51629.1504080172.1280.1280.jpg

Mick666, RoryBreaker and Herptology like this.
  9. Mick666

Mick666 Well-Known Member

I have 4 guppies and two cat fish on my desk at work
    fish.jpg

Herptology likes this.
  10. MadBD

MadBD New Member

I don't see why you cannot love and keep both.

For me personally, I like Animals I can handle and pat. Smuggling my dragon around the Supermarket or park after a vet appointment is the best feeling. Seeing little kids faces light up when they spot a nose coming out of my hoodie plus feeling Nox just relax into my hands, shoulder, neck or anywhere else in the sun is just a BLAST. Sadly, fish cannot offer that.