Anyone use UVB LIGHT METERS?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher69

Reaction score
A customer/stranger on Amazon asked me whether they could use a UVB Light Meter to test the longevity & strength of their UV reptile bulb?
Apparently the Exo Terra Bulbs states 12 months use versus me saying to change every 6 months, just to be on the safe side...

I personally don't know much about the UV light meters but I did point out that they range in price from $50 (2nd hand) to $200 (brand new)...so I wouldn't necessarily put too much faith in a cheap meter but then again, I wouldn't buy a $200 meter to test a $30 bulb.

So anyone use light meters & how can you tell if they're reliable or not?

I have been using solar meters 6.2 and 6.5 for awhile. They are expensive but really worth it in the end. I wouldn't bother with others. I suppose I got them because I use about 40 odd metal halides bulbs. I check basking tiles, branches on the side, check the bulbs are operating well and that as you mentioned check longevity to get the most out of the bulbs.

I also have a solar meter 6.5 ,very expensive but if you have multiple enclosures it is a good way to check on the deterioration of the globes and you can be aware of the quality of your lights,just because the light is on doesn't mean it is working to it's capacity

I have afew uv beads, they glow a bright blue under uv, so if you are to out one under the light and it does not glow it means the uv no longer works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back