Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananapeel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has used the Habistat reptile radiator? and if so, is it any good? does it provide a decent basking spot? (for a woma)
can it be used on timber or melamine? and how is it mounted?
Sorry for the questions! i just came across it on the herpshop website and it looked pretty good i guess.

Thanks everyone!

They're absolutely fantastic! I have 3 of them, one for my olive, one for my beardie and one for my diamond and I love them! They never blow like globes and you adjust the temp by connecting them to a thermostat. They do get quite hot (not as hot as globes) and I'm not sure if you can get cages for them, but funny enough none of my animals have gone near them - whereas they did go near globes and I always had them caged. They just screw to your enclosure into either wood or melamine. Ive been told that you can screw them to the side of the enclosure if you want to, but mine are all on the roof. They do release a bit of a 'plastic' smell when you first turn them on but that goes away in a day or so. Hope this helps!

They are fantastic and snakes tend not to get burned on them like they do with incandesant globes. If you are concerned about this try the Herpshop. They sell dedicated mesh protectors to prevent your animal touching them.

I'm curious about these, as I understand they're supposed to be mounted to the ceiling. If so mounted, do they emit enough heat to the floor of tall-ish (say 1 metre high) enclosure to work as a basking area, or are they more of a general ambient air heater?

Awesome, thanks guys. they sound like a very decent investment! What kind of thermostat do you use or recommend for one of these? also, are they cheaper to run than globes? thanks very much guys!

- - - Updated - - -

and +1 for the above question about basking areas or ambient temps. also curious about this.

I don't know about habistat but the ones from proherp you have variety in sizes and wattages I use one of these for my water python and olive python

It depends on the size you use compared to the enclosure size. I'm cheap so I only use 40W ones and set up basking shelves about 9-10 inches below the emitter. This setup gives a nice cosy basking spot, raises ambient temp at the warm end by a couple of degrees and leaves the cold end at ambient. If you use larger ones though, it will obviously create more warmth so will raise ambient temps more

so would the habistat one which is 75watt, use a lot of power? and recommended thermostat for it?
thanks guys!
Nice wishlist by the way saximus. let me know if you find one!

Last edited:
i heard about a burnt plastic smell when they're running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back