APS - Current status and future plans

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

There have been some fair commentary on the forums and PMs around the new logo, proposed site changes and changes that have been implemented so far since I became the Site Admin. One thing I hope I have encouraged though is for folks to openly share their opinions and thoughts without being censored (exceptions have been where members were antagonizing others and personal commentary was involved) and this thread hopefully will answer a couple of unasked questions as to where I would like to see APS in 6 months or there about.

If you don't feel like reading the below essay, in essence it reads, "Fix site with what I think will work or leave alone for site to die a slow death"

Onto my thoughts.....

In regards to the site logo, the reason I have been looking at changing this is because I have had a large amount of feedback saying that the site needs a "facelift" of sorts and being that my artistic flair peaks at making sure I colour within the lines with no more than 3 colours, I needed the input of someone with experience. My thoughts was to use the new logo as of a ground zero where I could start looking at redesigning the site colours etc. The new and old "looks" will be setup in such a way that if you don't like the new design or I stuff it up royally, you can switch to the view you see currently with a mouse click.

One of the bigger changes that is pending and slowly being worked towards is the Subscriptions, Sponsors and Power Sellers setup where folks are required to pay a fee before they can advertise any products. This is a good way to generate funds for the site but its also unfeasible for those who want to sell a single item or who also just want to support the site by way of anonymous donation. To give folks a bit of perspective, the site costs me around $200 per month to keep online, backed up and maintained which isn't a cheap endeavor but when the impact of the site being offline for a month was so prominent, its proven that its a worthwhile resource for the Australian Herp community and worth keeping it up. I have heard all the comments in regards to continued financial support to keep the site running and I agree that I cannot foot all the site costs indefinitely (or until I need to buy more diamonds for the wife) which is why I am looking at implementing the Donations section which will eventually replace the Subscribers and Power Sellers titles and will allow a bit more of a flexible advertising for those who just want to sell their single reptile. I cannot turn the Subscribers/Power Sellers off yet as mentioned as it would be unfair to those who have paid for these statuses. I have taken onboard 2 good suggestions on how to address this from a couple of site members and am slowly working in how I can implement them.

I changed the old site rules because I felt they were too constrictive and could be interpreted in a way that would stop folks posting because of other members responses, post administrations or favoritism to name a few reasons. I want the new rules to basically read in that we are all adults and to treat each other with respect. If they could be improved/reworded or otherwise please let me know.

In a nutshell and as I have said before, I did not take over APS to make a name for myself or as a source of income. I wanted to keep a great resource online for interested parties and while I know I cannot please everyone, all I can try and do is better the site to make it more useful for the members. I have and will continue to make mistakes which I will apologise for and if I need to change something or leave something as is, I am open to all opinions.

Any and all comments on the above are welcome.

Thanks again for all your continued support and helping APS grow.
Stuart

Just the fact that you are participating in the discussions, and acknowledging what people have to say shows you are on the right path.
The best part for me is how everyone seems to be on board with the fresh start approach, leaving all the bad aspects behind. The old APS did have a bit of a bad rep towards the end.

Good on you Stuart, you're keeping the community informed on what you are trying to achieve.

You asked for suggestions for the complex 'rules' section that was. . . .

This forum is here to provide:

• quality answers to any herp related questions
  • quality information
  • educational information to all beginners

The rules:
- All members are expected to behave in an adult manner. If you decide to have a public tantrum expect to be sent to the naughty corner- Please refrain from posting meaningless threads .
- Advertising, spamming and trolling via the forum, email, thread comments, picture comments and private message systems is not allowed.
-Please wait a reasonable amount of time before bumping posts.
-We also do not allow posts or links to sites that are sexual in nature or offensive.
-Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.
- Each member is allowed one login account. Registering with multiple accounts is not allowed.
- We encourage you to speak nicely of our competitors.
- We reserve the right to remove offensive posts without notice.
- We reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure the good upkeep of this forum and to maintain it's intended purpose
Market Place:
members can sell a single animal in a 30 day period, free of charge.
members can sell a single enclosure set up in a 30 day period, free of charge.
anything more than above quantities will incur a cost per month

again, just thinking out loud.

Good on you Stuart, you're keeping the community informed on what you are trying to achieve.

You asked for suggestions for the complex 'rules' section that was. . . .

This forum is here to provide:

• quality answers to any herp related questions
  • quality information
  • educational information to all beginners

The rules:
- All members are expected to behave in an adult manner. If you decide to have a public tantrum expect to be sent to the naughty corner- Please refrain from posting meaningless threads .
- Advertising, spamming and trolling via the forum, email, thread comments, picture comments and private message systems is not allowed.
-Please wait a reasonable amount of time before bumping posts.
-We also do not allow posts or links to sites that are sexual in nature or offensive.
-Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.
- Each member is allowed one login account. Registering with multiple accounts is not allowed.
- We encourage you to speak nicely of our competitors.
- We reserve the right to remove offensive posts without notice.
- We reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure the good upkeep of this forum and to maintain it's intended purpose
Market Place:
members can sell a single animal in a 30 day period, free of charge.
members can sell a single enclosure set up in a 30 day period, free of charge.
anything more than above quantities will incur a cost per month

again, just thinking out loud.

Agree on everything you said and add rather than cost per month for above the single quantities stick with the current annual fee seems reasonable to me. When I am in a position to sell multiple items, I would be happy for the small annual subscriber fee. 10 bucks isn't that much really?

That sounds good, I've no idea what the current rates are/ will be so I figure a month didn't sound quite so bad [emoji4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back