Aquarium ammonia levels.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
good point. i forgot about that. as manda said. stagger you tank and filter cleans to help prevent spikes.

yeah as has been said your filter is still new this will be causing a bit of a problem, i wouldn't clean it unless it is the first stage filtration to remove any gunk. and remember to clean the filter in the water from the tank otherwise the good bacteria will die.

and as has been said planting it heavily really helps.

Again, thanks for all the wonderful advice. Much appreciated. Having a guess I'd say we erred in cleaning the filter somewhat too early. Our bad. Whilst the fish were all swimming near the top a few days ago, things have settled somewhat and they seem a lot more comfortable.

What I forgot to mention was I got one of those mesh bags with white stones in it to reduce ammonia and put that in the internal filter......appeared to make the water cloudy and still very much is. We figured it hasn't got any worse and can only help but in saying that the charcoal seems like a great idea.

When we say charcoal? Any charcoal or specifically from an aquarium shop?

We r in north east subs Melbourne and use Rayonne Aquarium who have always been good to us.

Thanks guys. As far as the Eheim 2215 is concerned I will I have the bio balls and noodles......basically there is a circular black plastic piece which is at the bottom of the canister which sits 2 inches off the bottom, then the noodles, approx 2 inches worth then the blue filter sponge, then the bio balls....approx 6-8 inches high then the thin gauze (white) pad then another black circular piece which sits flat on top of the white pad (thin) then the filter head sits on top.

See attachments for breakdown of filter.

And plants it is.....might get some duckweed and that frog one.

Oh and by the way I'm hoping that anyone else who has ammonia issues of which I'm sure there are can get some useful information from this thread. Great advice all round.

View attachment 261544View attachment 261545
Hi
Eheim 2215 do not come with Bio Balls so this will be your problem as without proper Eheim Media a 2215 is too small for a 200 litre tank. Put some Eheim media in it or you will need a larger or additional filter.

Hi Paul.....:) This is the Eheim I got off u guys......u will know who I am......it came with the proper Eheim substrat.......both the balls and the noodles......when I find the instructions I will post the actual name.

Cheers.

No worries you have just mixed your words up and when I saw "bio balls" rang alarm bells. It will have the correct genuine Eheim media as we do not sell anything else. Stop cleaning it so often and it all should correct itself. Give me a call if you are still having problems in a week.
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back